I've read before that when stretching the hamstrings if you feel it behind the knee you are stretching the sciatic nerve, so if you feel it there you should bend the knee until you feel it in the muscle belly. Is that true, and if so, is it ok to do jefferson curls with bent knees and work up to locked knees?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Question about jefferson curls
Started by RatioFitness, February 28, 2013 · 28 Replies · 1,589 Views
Personally when I do these I have a slight bend in my knees. Then again I do most movements with soft elbows and knees. It's just my personal preference, but there may be a more technical answer coming from one of the folks who know their biomechanics.
RatioFitness said:I've read before that when stretching the hamstrings if you feel it behind the knee you are stretching the sciatic nerve, so if you feel it there you should bend the knee until you feel it in the muscle belly. Is that true, and if so, is it ok to do jefferson curls with bent knees and work up to locked knees?
personally, know what I know now, I would approach any style of hamstring stretching with straight knees, though since in the jefferson curl, you dont need to have a straight back, just keep in mind that you're not pulling in, you're relaxing into the position. if you can't relax in the position, take it easy. know your "im gonna get hurt" limit and stay in your "im being stressed, it is discomforting, but it is part of the process" limit.
with mobility = proper movements with smoothness throughout your existing ROM
sink in, breathe, then pull out gently. that's what she said, so follow her advice. ![]()
That's not necessarily true. You could be stretching a whole lot of things, but that IS a concern.
Bent and straight leg hamstring stretches both have value, but the Jefferson curl should really be a straight leg stretch.
Bent leg stretching works best on your back, with the knee pulled to the chest. You will notice that it feels quite different.
twss, nice! ![]()
From what I learned in one of Ido's seminars the Jefferson curl is mainly targeted on the spine with some bonus action on the posterior chain? Then again there was so much going on I could've misinterpreted it!
Jefferson Curls need to be done with straight legs.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Klaudius Petrulis said:From what I learned in one of Ido's seminars the Jefferson curl is mainly targeted on the spine with some bonus action on the posterior chain? Then again there was so much going on I could've misinterpreted it!
If that was taught, it was somewhat incorrect.
The primary value of the Jefferson curl is the combination of controlled spinal flexion with anterior pelvic tilt. This puts tension on, strengthens, and stretches, the vast majority of the entire posterior chain, which runs from the top of the skull to the bottom of the feet. That includes the spinal musculature and connective tissues, but is by no means limited to them.
This is a loaded stretch, and it loads the entire target fascial chain. You get tissue changes in the fascia and throughout the muscular tissue layers, which is why proper Jefferson curls are a very, very good exercise.
As Coach said, you won't get all of these benefits without straight legs. You NEED straight legs to get everything out of Jefferson curls.
Thank you for your replies. I lost my notes for that part of the seminar, but what you're saying sounds right.
Just a question though, by straight legs do you mean locked out legs?
What are your thoughts on loading the jefferson curls with more weight?
Klaudius Petrulis said:(...) by straight legs do you mean locked out legs?
Yes ![]()
jocke_a said:What are your thoughts on loading the jefferson curls with more weight?
I think it's a bad idea. You are already in a heavily disadvantaged position. The goal is to develop a full pike, not to lift billions of pounds.
How much weight should one use for Jefferson Curls? The athlete in the video uses an olympic bar.
jocke_a said:What are your thoughts on loading the jefferson curls with more weight?
I agree with Joshua, this is not a deadlift, moderate weight is better; if in doubt, be conservative. ![]()
Alright, thank for the replies.
Depending upon your strength level, anywhere from the empty bar all the way up to full bodyweight is fine. The main point is that this should be a comfortable weight for you.
No straining, no grinding of the teeth, no bataan death marches.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
This is a powerful exercise. I have had an anterior tilt of the pelvis since I was a child. I tried the Jefferson curl with 20kg and I obviously stretched the lumbar fascia in a way I never have done before. My pelvis could finally tilt posteriorly with no effort for the first time in my life. But my back could not handle the quick change and I developed acute pain when bending. The next time I tried the Jefferson curl with 5kg and the same thing happened. Interesting I felt great on the rower as my knees were moving a lot more closer to the chest. Today I am going to try 2.5kg and if that is ok I will build the weight back up slowly
I really struggle not to round my back on the Jefferson Curl and similar exercises. Is this because my spine isn't that flexible? What can I do to help this? It just seems impossible to keep back and knees both straight.
I do think you are supposed to round your back during JC ![]()
What other "similar exercises" are you doing and struggling with a flat back?
I see what you mean in that there is rounding during this exercise, but at the end, when the hands are down low, there is little rounding. I have a lot more.
I struggle with this on most anything like the next IM, pike lean, or just a simple touching of the toes.
Don't worry about the next iM, focus on the task at hand.
For JC, don't force it, follow the instructions, it will come.
Also read Joshua's post at the top (best answer), it is a stretch, not a strength movement; build it slowly and easily.
You have to be careful with the ROM. Going too far, too fast can cause problems. You really have to take your time. As Coach said, it should never feel like a strain.
Ease into the full ROM, and develop full ROM (at least bar to toes) before adding weight, and always regain full ROM before adding more weight. Ideally you would be able to get into a more or less full pike.
Mark Collins said:This is a powerful exercise. I have had an anterior tilt of the pelvis since I was a child. I tried the Jefferson curl with 20kg and I obviously stretched the lumbar fascia in a way I never have done before. My pelvis could finally tilt posteriorly with no effort for the first time in my life. But my back could not handle the quick change and I developed acute pain when bending. The next time I tried the Jefferson curl with 5kg and the same thing happened. Interesting I felt great on the rower as my knees were moving a lot more closer to the chest. Today I am going to try 2.5kg and if that is ok I will build the weight back up slowly
thiiiiiiiiiiis! so this is why my lumbar is so sore! thank you so much for this insight! I really appreciate it
KeilaniG said:thiiiiiiiiiiis! so this is why my lumbar is so sore! thank you so much for this insight! I really appreciate it
I just did the Jefferson Curl with 2.5kg yesterday and have no soreness today. I am going to add 1-2kg a week until I get to 20kg.
I did them with my olympic bar for the first time. felt like i was even stretching my soul. #beginnerGSTproblems
Coach Sommer said:Depending upon your strength level, anywhere from the empty bar all the way up to full bodyweight is fine. The main point is that this should be a comfortable weight for you.
No straining, no grinding of the teeth, no bataan death marches.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Hmmm. I'm due to add some weight to this, methinks.