This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL/SE1>IM

Started by deanb, July 2, 2013 · 29 Replies · 1,062 Views

deanb

You gotta be kidding! I can't get myself suspended in air like I'm supposed to. Anyone else struggled and overcome the difficulty?

kalel

nice effort mate, but hes talking about straddle planche im. ( Bent Arm Half Straddle Planche Hold ) :)

 

ot: i tried them before, the only thing am worried about is holding that 10 sec in air. i feel much load at chest and triceps.

deanb

Thanks Chris. That is helpful but I am talking about the IM exercise -- Bent Arm Half Straddle Planche Hold. I have mastered all the prerequisites. This just seems like a huge step up from its predecessors.

Christian

I'm guessing only here, but have you mastered PE3 for hollowback press in F1? Being able to breeze through that will help I'd think.

Jon Douglas
deanb said:

You gotta be kidding! I can't get myself suspended in air like I'm supposed to. Anyone else struggled and overcome the difficulty?

Yes, me!

1. Do a PPPushup. Have your hands slightly too wide. Do your best to protract (you won't move far, it's just about locking in your shoulders and traps) at the bottom. Lock your elbows too.

2. Lean forward a little bit more, so that the weight comes off your feet, and lift heels.

 

It's an absolute bastard to start with but it's come for me after two or three months.

deanb

Thanks, Charm.  I did get through PPP so I will try getting into it the way you say.  In the video, the athlete gets into it in a different way that seems more difficult.

Jon Douglas
deanb said:

Thanks, Charm.  I did get through PPP so I will try getting into it the way you say.  In the video, the athlete gets into it in a different way that seems more difficult.

Yeah, I tried that but can't control the descent quite so well. The best way I've found for me has been a bent-arm planche lean that gets lower as I lean further, until I hit a balance point. What really made the difference for me was trying to push and lock my shoulders forward before putting the weight on em.

Sorry, this one'll just take some time. At least the SE1 + 2 are easy to give you time to focus on this :)

Alessandro Mainente

for sure don't fall into the temptation of hold your body between the arms muscles pressing the triceps of the lats. the difference is high. 

i admit that i can do 3-4 HBP in a row so for the most of people is strength mobility, at certain level it evolves into mobility and only on it.

B1214N

Yes, don't lock the triceps into the lats. Try squeezing/hugging the floor and that will help with protraction although I don't think protraction is necessary.

 

I'm wondering is this element mobility for the hips or shoulders?

Jon Douglas
B1214N said:

Yes, don't lock the triceps into the lats. Try squeezing/hugging the floor and that will help with protraction although I don't think protraction is necessary.

I'm wondering is this element mobility for the hips or shoulders?

Hips / glutes for me, to hold a straight line through to knees.

deanb

I've tried it some more with Charm's suggestions, but still can't get even close.  It seems I can't lean forward enough to have my feet lift off the ground naturally. 

Joshua Slocum

My preferred method of entry is to lower down from a frogstand or tuck planche while extending the hips. 

FredInChina

I am far from an expert in these "advanced" variations, but looking at your sig, you seem to be at SL/PE1 in spite of being far along on the other progressions...

Could it be that relative weakness that is holding you back on this exercise? :)

 

Another road to explore might be to revisit the PPP, planche leans, etc... that maybe need a bit of brushing up on the form?

Can I suggest that you post a video of the mastery of these previous progressions? maybe there will be some clues as to the source of your present difficulties?

LateStarter@46

Just wanted to add - before anybody else is tempted to turn the air blue whilst trying to 'get' this iM - that using parallettes helps enormously in figuring out the balance point and getting comfortable in the body position.

Gavin S

You must ensure you have a nice forward lean. I battled with this a little until I got the degree of lean I needed to stay suspended.

LateStarter@46

Yes, totally agree and thanks Gavin. It's all in the amount of lean.

Ironically I did a 3s one last night (with no parallettes) whilst showing someone what I was trying to do...It also may have have helped in that I was trying not to squash the playful dog that had wormed itself underneath my stomach :-)

Jon Douglas
LateStarter@46 said:

It also may have have helped in that I was trying not to squash the playful dog that had wormed itself underneath my stomach :-)

:o

strme

 use raw egg..   :not_the_easter_egg:

LateStarter@46

Haha@strme!

 

@Jon, have just worked out why you responded like that. Doh! Bad choice of words. Replace with '...dog that had wriggled itself...' 

Tuts.

Jon Douglas
LateStarter@46 said:

Haha@strme!

 

@Jon, have just worked out why you responded like that. Doh! Bad choice of words. Replace with '...dog that had wriggled itself...' 

Tuts.

Eh?

No, I just worried about a tiny pup who would've thought it was a great game right up until.... :o

ausswe

Fun to see how people's minds work through misinterpretation of another's words. :D

strme

i find good solution for me,how to feel this position.  i have a roller on the ground (roller is just bellow hips if you are in the postion) and than move over roller to get to the bent arm half straddle planche.  is my additional movement after ,before ppp etc.  

LateStarter@46

@strme, yes I've done that one too - good idea!

 

I filmed this iM using parallettes and whilst I thought I was horizontal, I was more like 60degrees up in the air!

 

More lean, more lean!

ChrisUK

This thread is filled with great info! I've just started backat SE1 on sPL and I couldn't even do the iM a couple weeks ago, now I am holding 6ish second holds. Would you guys be able to critique my form?

 

Where should I be working on the form?

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I9rZOvt2lI

 

 

Thanks,

 

Chris.

LateStarter@46

@ChrisUK, your form looks good and personally I'm green with envy  :icon_twisted:

 

If anything, I would get your elbows pointing straight up to the ceiling rather than slightly angled in.