Ramadan nutrition

Started by Talal, June 29, 2013 · 7 Replies · 3,048 Views

Talal

Hey all. Excuse my english as its not my native language, In the beginning im so pleased to be in this great community.

In few days Ramadan (fasting month) is coming and id like to have ideas & advices how to balance my nutrition during it for the rest 9hurs when I breakfast. while ill fast from sunrise till sunset (aprox. 15 hrs). And is it ok to workout while im fasting or better not.

Many thanks.

Talal

Joshua Naterman

For this time, you should try to save your workout until after you eat, preferably in the evening. You will want to eat a huge meal after the workout, because you'll be going to sleep soon. As much as I don't like to give out recommendations like that, Ramadan is not the ideal athletic schedule and, as such, I cannot give out ideal advice for it :) You have to work with the schedule of Ramadan, so try to eat very slow digesting stuff and eat a large pile of it before you go to bed. 

 

You could also wake up early, eat, workout, and eat a giant pile of food, go to work (if you work) and then eat more when you get home and the sun has set.

 

That is my opinion, but you'll need to do whatever it is that fits your schedule.

Talal
Joshua Naterman said:

For this time, you should try to save your workout until after you eat, preferably in the evening. You will want to eat a huge meal after the workout, because you'll be going to sleep soon. As much as I don't like to give out recommendations like that, Ramadan is not the ideal athletic schedule and, as such, I cannot give out ideal advice for it :) You have to work with the schedule of Ramadan, so try to eat very slow digesting stuff and eat a large pile of it before you go to bed.

I believe I can do that. If you can break it down the large pile before bed how many percent of each protein/carb/fat you would say?

 

Talal

Ravn
Talal said:

I believe I can do that. If you can break it down the large pile before bed how many percent of each protein/carb/fat you would say?

 

Talal

I'd think a metric (not imperial) crapton of each would suffice - Bon appetit! ;)

Joshua Naterman

I would probably get 80-ish grams of protein in that bedtime meal, but not from powder. Real meat, with real veggies. Same for the last morning meal.

 

As for total carbs and fats, I'd go with recommended numbers like ~50-60% carbs (need to be very slow digesting) and 20-30% fat, but I would rather you throw all recommendations out the window and eat something that fills you up and allows you to function during your day instead of you worrying about percentages and not knowing what to do.

 

You have to keep your mind straight on something: It's one month. You've got 11 months to do what you want, so don't sweat it. Just eat, work out to MAINTAIN your body as well as you can, and finish Ramadan.

Talal

Joshua, thanks alot, at least I get the ratio for each category how much to go with no worrying as much this month change.

Joshua Naterman said:

I would probably get 80-ish grams of protein in that bedtime meal, but not from powder. Real meat, with real veggies. Same for the last morning meal.

I dont think ill be able to get a morning meal as the fasting time will start 3:20am till 7:00pm, but guess I get ur point to compensation tge amount of protein of daily intake, correct me if im right.

Talal

Talal
Ravn said:

I'd think a metric (not imperial) crapton of each would suffice - Bon appetit! ;)

Sounds wise, would you kindly explain more what do you mean?

Joshua Naterman
Talal said:

Joshua, thanks alot, at least I get the ratio for each category how much to go with no worrying as much this month change.

I dont think ill be able to get a morning meal as the fasting time will start 3:20am till 7:00pm, but guess I get ur point to compensation tge amount of protein of daily intake, correct me if im right.

Talal

The idea is to TRY to get as long of a sustained release of amino acids, and calories, as possible. Ramadan is not a time to strive for physical perfection, it is a time for you to focus on other areas of your life and do your best to minimize the loss of muscle mass.

 

You have 11 months to rebuild, it will be fine.