Gaining strength whilst losing weight?

Started by Shia, June 27, 2013 · 2 Replies · 1,924 Views

Shia

I have been weight training for about 2 years now and have gotten a bit chunky.

I have switched to gymnastics but also want to lean out. With a good diet is it possible to lean out as well as increasing strength and progressing in the gymnast strength training?

rmandawg1

Yes, but you have to be very mindful of what you're eating. Gaining muscle and losing fat is purely a numbers game - know what you need and put in exactly that. Too little and you will not gain muscle, too much and you will not lose fat.

Look for a calorie calculator online to determine your caloric needs (I use the one from Scooby's website. It's free and it's been accurate for me). Start reading all your food packages and googling the nutritional data for everything you eat. Losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time is possible, but it's a lot of work until you get used to it.

Helander

Gaining strenght and even gaining little mass can be achieved during a proper cut if you force your body to adapt to totally new kind of stimulus, according to mostly anecdotal opinions by myself and lot of other people. Google around! 8)

 

I've been cutting for something like a month now, and haven't noticed any major decrease in strength, and no major loss in muscle mass. Handstand presses have gotten a lot better lately, and my hollowback presses have increased both in quality and quantity.