Hi guys,
I've decided to finally rev up my cardiovascular endurance as it has been my weakest point for quite a bit.
First of all, the main reference for my questions:
Joshua Naterman said:The best health markers are :
- a detailed lipid profile: One that tells you the subtypes of HDL and LDL you have, as well as the particle size. Larger particles are better.
- A1C tests for overall systemic inflammation status, along with how well your body handles the carbohydrates you eat
- An exercise stress test, preferably a classic Bruce or ramp Bruce protocol.
- Your physical lifestyle: Do you perform some kind of cardio at least 3 days per week, for at least 70 total minutes if interval training or 150 total minutes if training steady state? Do you resistance train your entire body at least 2-3 times per week?
- Your nutritional lifestyle: Are you eating primarily whole foods, lots of vegetables, and reasonable portions (for your activity levels)?
There ARE a whole lot more blood tests out there, but these are the most basic, and most important. Depending on your personal condition, there may be other tests that are also very relevant.
To sum up what I do on a regular basis: F7 3x/week, HS1 2x/week, 4-5 hours of martial arts practice.
My martial arts training is currently primarily composed of careful training of which the vast majority is not cardiovascularly taxing.
My end goal:
- Have a primarily cardiovascular training day that includes a combination of interval training and steady state training with only light martial arts training.
What I intend to do:
- Start the day with thorough warm up (bunch of crawls, joint circles, limb swings)
- 10-15 minutes of full body soft tissue work with lacrosse ball/foam roller
- ~30 minutes of light martial arts practice
- 20 minutes of interval training--probably sprint/walk (30 seconds on, 90 seconds rest -- this is 20 rounds)
- Followed by 30-45 minutes of running at HR about 120 BPM
- Stretching (possibly)
Anything I'm missing? Is this an acceptable way of combining the two types of training?
--
Just so you know, I literally only eat rice, tons and tons vegetables, red meat/fish, nuts, and protein powder. I think I'm basically all set with my nutrition outside of adjusting it to fit my daily energy expenditure. Oh yeah, and I drink TONS of water.