Hello,
I've been having wrist issues, just looking for some advice.
Started by Brian Cerasuolo, June 19, 2013 · 10 Replies · 4,049 Views
Hello,
I've been having wrist issues, just looking for some advice.
Well, obviously rope climb and front lever will be basically impossible, but the rest of it should be pretty solid.
Being that it's an online course, you could have a little difficulty... (sidenote to the moderators: we need a sweatdrop emoticon)
If it were me, working handstands would be my first priority. You're going to have enough spare time on your hands lol.
The basic 4 gymnastics floor exercises seem to be hollowback press, planche, manna and back limber. Also one legged squats. Look up the progressions for each, and make sure you get different opinions and commit them to memory. Something might not work for you as well as you think it will, and research options will be limited once you're inside.
But really, I'd just focus my efforts on high rep pushups, leg lifts and squats. You're going to be insanely bored, and a high number of reps will serve you well in preparation for more difficult elements, while trying to work more difficult elements will probably detract from daily training. If you need something more gymnastic specific, hollow and arch holds as well as standard and reverse plank will serve you well.
Oh and don't forget the infamous prisoner burpee challenge.
Good luck in there.
I appreciate the pun about being on my hands. Yes. I will for sure work on my handstands as I've already purchased H1 and it looks like I should have no problem being restricted in doing that.
I'm actually quite proficient at your typical bodybuilding bodyweight excersises ( pushup, pull up/chin up, dip) and planned to practise them at a different time of day if it doesn't interfere with the gymnastics stuff to much ( not sure yet just an initial thought) and I can already manage about 80 burpees in 5 minutes so I will definitely keep those in shape as well.
I'm more just interested if it will even be worth trying to start foundation now (I haven't purchased it yet so I can't see the content) or if I should just wait till after I get out. I understand that front levers and rope climbs will have to be put on hold, but the other foundations I'm not sure. Sounds like I might be able to from what you suggest.
Thanks for the input so far and the good wishes.
You should get it. Rope climbs and some mobility work is stuff you'll have problems with, but most of the other stuff you can do. Included FL and manna. Also perfect opportunity to focus on stretching. By purchasing F1 you'll probably notice some flexibility issues that you can improve on while there. I see no reason to wait if you can purchase it now.
Aside from the things you won't be able to do, there will be plenty you can get started on. And as you seem to want to get on board asap, I would vote for getting it. Then you can find what level you are on and work on what you can. There is plenty to do w/ little to no equipment needed, and depending on how strict your stay will be you might have access to rope/straps or hell, even rings in the weight room. As long as you have the exercises and templates written down(or online access while on the 'inside'), your gold.
Body weight exercises and stretching! If you can stay motivated and do long duration stretches you will make big gains in flexibility which will translate to better form in straddle press handstands and a lot of other gymnastics moves. You will have to learn to work with the tools offered in your environment. Once you understand the gymnastics based strength training concepts of static holds and SAS, etc. you will be able to improvise exercises almost anywhere that will work well for your level. Here is an example of Ernesto Sarabia improvising stall bars outside on a railing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YloWUL3HcDA
With some luck you may be able to find a spotter/training partner to help push you during you training. Thich Nhat Hanh mentions an example of someone who practiced meditation daily while jailed and did very well - routine, routine, routine could work to your advantage for developing strength.
You are also correct to worry about joint issues, especially transitioning from weight training where you have focused on specific strength development (possibly at the expense of mobility) while gymnastic based strength will stress new muscles, particularly in the rotator cuff. Progressing with awareness, addressing issues ASAP with massage & stretching & mobility work, learning from any small injuries and your should progress very well.
You still got 2 months outside so why not unless you have plans for summer that means you wouldn't have time for it.
Worst case scenario, inside you can still work on manna, planche, bridge and HS. Maybe there is something to hang on t work some pullup and hang stuff and maybe even something to work support/dip work. I doubt there is a pair of rings but who knows. I think I was reading the other day that rings and ropes are not allowed in some jails.
Rings and Ropes are definitely gonna be a no go. Jails are worried about suicide possibility with these things. I do believe the specific jail I'm going to has a recreation center that I will have access too. but I don't know how often I can go or what it will exactly have yet. I tried to find out and I heard it has 1 pull up bar station.
Problem being that I don't want to have to contend to use the ONE pull up bar. I'd rather keep to myself and avoid potential conflicts. I'm gonna study H1 more thoroughly on my day off from work and then when I fully understand the way the progressions work in the system, determine if it's something I could follow in jail to purchase F1.
If I do purchase F1, do you think people in the graduate studies forum could help me set up a routine
Brian Cerasuolo said:If I do purchase F1, do you think people in the graduate studies forum could help me set up a routine
I think most people would just recommend you follow the program as written. But being locked up in a cell all day you are going to get very bored, so there's a good chance you won't stick to any routine anyway. Probably a good way to get in touch with your body, if you pay attention.
I think that the best use of your time in the cell will be to follow the F1 template for everything that you will have the equipment to perform.
Forget about what you can't do, that's just wasted mental effort to think about. Outside of your F1 workouts, I would focus on stretching and learning active flexibility.
Begin strengthening your wrist and opening your shoulders now. 5 months to practice handstands will be a huge step in progress if you do it right.