In a nearby park there are some of these, I tried going from one end to another and it was really easy ( slow and controlled of course), however due to the single arm hang I felt some shoulder pain, to which I ask, what are they for? I dont see any benifit from doing a hang walk of anykind. Thanks
Overhead ladders
Started by Robmob, June 17, 2013 · 8 Replies · 3,196 Views
There is a ton of benefit to these. Dynamic movements are great for building strength but should only be done once you have enough foundation to do them without injury (ie no pain). In the case of hanging walks there will be great benefit for the shoulder girdle.
Ah ok well thanks, I guess I would need to see a video on proper form and be warmed up too.
Robmob said:In a nearby park there are some of these, I tried going from one end to another and it was really easy ( slow and controlled of course), however due to the single arm hang I felt some shoulder pain, to which I ask, what are they for? I dont see any benifit from doing a hang walk of anykind. Thanks
If you have shoulder pain you are probably brachiating incorrectly. Brachiation is the scienc-y term for moving around with the arms in a suspended position. like swinging across monkey bars.
If you are holding with the right hand during the swing, the left shoulder will drop and then swing up as you turn. Just watch videos of monkeys swinging from branch to branch, and you will see that the unloaded shoulder drops low in the middle of the swing, and that as the monkey passes the halfway point the unloaded shoulder has moved from behind to in front of the body.
Just like anything else, this technique requires two things:
1) a good visual model.
This is a surprisingly good model, in my opinion. You can see everything I described in very fluid motion over and over again:
2) practice ![]()
If you are experiencing pain while hanging it has nothing to do with technique and everything to do with insufficient mobility. Better technique will indeed allow you to move more efficiently, however better mobility is what makes the movement possible in the first place.
In GST, mobility is always the first priority. How can strength be built over the correct ROM when the correct ROM is lacking? ![]()
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Joshua Naterman said:(...) 1) a good visual model.(...)
Certainly not a model of politeness, civic responsibility, or respect! Obnoxious prick! ![]()
Was that Harry Potter walking past at 40 seconds? ![]()
Coach Sommer said:If you are experiencing pain while hanging it has nothing to do with technique and everything to do with insufficient mobility. Better technique will indeed allow you to move more efficiently, however better mobility is what makes the movement possible in the first place.
In GST, mobility is always the first priority. How can strength be built over the correct ROM when the correct ROM is lacking?
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Oh sure, make it sound simple and reasonable >.<
There are arched monkey bars near me, like this but more of an arch. It is very tough on the way up

When we did the ladders in the army, the rungs were much closer, but, we did them with our arms slightly flexed.