Hello to all,
For introductions, I am currently an Exercise Science Major in hopes of exploring the world of various methods of bodyweight training. I've done plenty of bodyweight exercises over the course of 3 years before I entered this major and have found many struggles in the overall aspect of strength gains as well as the "perfect form" related to the various movements. It's only been in the past recent months that I have delve into the subject of gymnastics and the science behind it to allow for maximum strength gains. So far during this period I was just experimenting with various movements and just recently I finished my 1st ever week of a so called full routine. I am going to post it in hopes of criticisms from others whether it be negative or positive as well as my own personal input on the various movements as well.
This template was from a fellow forum member as it is so popular and that would be none other than the killroy template. For this first week I pretty much wanted to try out what a solid routine would be like and so I tried my best to emulate what he did.
Static Strength:
Adv Tucked FL 10 sets of 3 seconds
Adv Tucked BL 10 sets of 3 seconds
Frogstand 10 sets of 10s
Handstand work 10 sets of 10s (Belly facing the wall focusing on the alignment of my body)
Day 1: Horizontal Pushing and Pulling
Ring Push ups 5x6-8 reps (I've noticed that this movement is much more difficult than a standard push up. Just the aspect of having to externally rotate my arms a bit to turn the rings outwards after the initial push as well as having to keep my arms straight was something rather surprising. A very powerful beginner movement and I was shocked I could at least do 6 haha)
Elevated Rows 5x6-8 reps (This movement is amazing. The next day after doing this exercise, I felt oddly stronger in the aspect of being able to hold the Adv Tucked FL a bit easier. With this movement, I focused a lot on stabilizing my scapula in between protraction and retraction to emulated the FL as much as possible)
Day 2: Curling and dipping
Chin ups inverted tuck 5x2-3 reps (Honestly, with a pr of doing weighted chin ups with 80lbs, I thought I'd be able to pull off 8-10 reps. My gosh this position is awkward. I'd like to find a rather easier progression since I also attempted this in a tucked position)
Dips on Paralletes 5x10r (Due to an injury I had before when performing the dip in the wrong fashion a year back, I wanted to take this to the absolute basic. However, since I did attempt ring dips before and also did it wrong I wanted to do a set of 1x1 rep to see the form. It didn't turn out all too bad but I think the Ring push ups from the day before allowed me to somewhat perfect the form of the dip a little but still needs improvement.)
Day 3:Pull Up and HeSPU
Ring Pull ups 5x5-8r (Normally I'd be able to do 10-12 reps but after an intense week like this so far I was only able to only do 5-6 reps for about 3 of the sets. This is very surprising to me but yet gives me a deal of excitement. I'll continue to perfect the pull up movement)
HeSPU on elevated surface 5x6-8 reps (I wanted to attempt this on the wall so bad but did not want to get cocky and injure myself. Surprisingly this movement on an elevated surface where my body is in the shape of an L is rather difficult. I think I have found the base of my HeSPU progression and will maintain this)
Day 4: Multiplane Pulling and Some form of pressing
TOPs Pulls 5x5 reps (Well my goal was 5 reps for all the set. I ended up with 5 on the first, 3 for the next 3 and then managed to do a 5 on the last. This was so new but I had a lot of issue with keeping myself from swinging on accident on the rings.)
Push ups on Rings (Similar to the day 1. I wanted to focus on my pressing since I find it to be the weakest part of me)
On all 4 of the days I did a form of deck squats in progression for the Pistol Squat (Single leg squat).
My overall thought:
This has got to be one of the most difficult routines I have ever followed in terms of bodyweight training. It is rather difficult to think of possible ways to advance to the next level but than again this is only my first week. I plan on rather instead of doing all 4 static movements each day that I should split them up for 2 static holds for 2 of the days and the others for the rest. I find myself getting rather fatigued for the static positions so I should reset and start off from the regular tucked for the BL/FL. However I noticed that I felt great with my bent arm work for 5 sets. 3 sets seemed too easy for me initially so that was the reason as to why I added 2 more sets despite failing on some movements on the 3-5th rep.
Well I hope I did this pretty well for a start off. Like I said, any criticisms is all welcome. I aim to better myself physically and mentally and would love to show others the beautiful aspect of bodyweight training.