This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

What does 'hollow' mean?

Started by LateStarter@46, June 1, 2013 · 2 Replies · 234 Views

LateStarter@46

Hello,

I'm reading up on how to do handstands so I can give the King of the Forum competition a go. A lot of the articles mention the hollow body hold and I'm not quite getting what 'hollow' is. Is it a rounded upper back (cave the chest in and round the shoulders, like exaggerating a poor posture) while keeping a flat lower back? Or is it caving in the stomach? Or something else? Which muscles should be tense and focused upon in a hollow hold?

Thank you very much for any advice.

Keilani Gutierrez
LateStarter@46 said:

Hello,

I'm reading up on how to do handstands so I can give the King of the Forum competition a go. A lot of the articles mention the hollow body hold and I'm not quite getting what 'hollow' is. Is it a rounded upper back (cave the chest in and round the shoulders, like exaggerating a poor posture) while keeping a flat lower back? Or is it caving in the stomach? Or something else? Which muscles should be tense and focused upon in a hollow hold?

Thank you very much for any advice.

I want to make it incredibly clear that I am not endorsing your OAH attempts or any injury that could result there of. please, be careful with your shoulders/wrist/elbows...

 

flat lower back, tension in Abs, Glutes, Lats, ribs pulled down. preferably tension everywhere. just mimic the athlete, if you look at HS/PE4 and HS/PE5, you'll see that he's laying down supine and laying forward prone with a particular shape in his core. his back is flat, though his abs are contracted, it's not like he's hunching over.

 

as something to note as well, we've been compiling all the most helpful cues and experiences we've all shared into one post in this forum: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/10486-what-has-surprised-you-in-h1/

 

it's full of a bunch of info! enjoy and train safe! 

LateStarter@46

Thank you KeilaniG, that gives me a better idea of 'hollow' as in it's like trying to compress your torso into the hips. Like a concertina.

 

Thank you also for your concern about my OAH attempt - don't worry, I'm learning the exit first and will focus on maintaining a good line and balance. It's going to be mind overcoming discomfort and if there's any hint of pain about to start, I'll stop immediately. I am just hoping to pick up a point on the leaderboard :huh: