This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

What has surprised you in H1?

Started by Jon Douglas, March 5, 2013 · 81 Replies · 6,214 Views

Jon Douglas

So I did PE4 today, and I found it was quite a bit more difficult than I had expected to keep my lower back on the ground and feet together. I realise this may apply for every element as I go through, but it made me think a little.

Which elements have other people found *unexpectedly* difficult so far, and why?

 

As an addendum, which ones are people particularly dreading as bottlenecks?

For me it's HS/PE5>iM; I tried this also today and found it was slightly better than I'd expected (shoulder + 1.5-2x hand width each side with 10lb), but certainly needing at least 1-2 microcycles work.

Keilani Gutierrez

I know everything related to having a weight going behind my head and behind my back towards shoulder height will be quite challenging seeing as how i've never used that ROM before besides in swimming but that was 10yrs+ ago. 

 

I wasn't cramping up on the  HS/PE1>iM, but then again i was only using 5lbs. maybe bump up to 10 today, see how the trapz feel about it. 

Jon Douglas

Just NB;

I arbitrarily chose a convenient 10lb I had lying around as a benchmark weight so that I'd have no doubts about being able to move on; as established in that other thread 3-5lb is fine.

(I know you already know that K, but anyone new dropping in might not)

Samui

Prone shoulder dislocations are crazy, and before H1 I didn't even fathom that prone undergrip dislocates were possible...

Overall I am glady surprised by many mobility exercises out there, and I never thought of doing handstand with forearm support either. Also the integrated mobility work of SE look just unreal but good I have a long way to go before finishing the PEs.

Richard Hamilton

HS/PE1-8>iM are going to be one big bottle neck for me Charm! :) I think I need to start doing some supplemental work on this stuff. I'll be interested to see how PE1>iM improves in the next 4 weeks... I was quite surprised at some of the gains I've made on F1, particularly Swivel hips so there's hope! :)

dritar

I'm very optimistic with regards to HS1 actually. My shoulder mobility never was bad, I mean I was able to quickly reach the 1-3 inches mark with wall handstands without having my thighs touch the wall and without arching and I can do shoulder dislocates with little issue (except for the dorsal ones, but I feel those one more in the wrist).

 

However H1 has laid out a clear path where I can make my not so bad shoulder mobility into great mobility, which something that I would probably not be able to do one my own :).

 

I'm dreading the very last mobility element. For Coach to say that those 30 seconds of holding the position will be the longest in your life, that's gotta mean something.

Jon Douglas
Samui said:

Supinated shoulder dislocations are crazy, and before H1 I didn't even fathom that prone undergrip dislocates were possible...

dritar said:

I'm dreading the very last mobility element. For Coach to say that those 30 seconds of holding the position will be the longest in your life, that's gotta mean something.

Seriously these two posts! The weighted prone dislocates made me blink several times before I could process it. The last one looks deceptively simple, but although I could get into the hold I could not attain a proper PPT at all, let alone for 30 seconds.

 

You know, when I * cough* totally didn't try it, because I'm not ready for that yet ^_^

Keilani Gutierrez

upgraded to 10lbs on the first PE/iM....I'm feelin' it now :blink:

Sam Carr

I'm surprised to see that it will take around 6 years to reach the the final 120 second handstand, so I'm trying not to be concerned with the end goal, and just be happy with each step along the way.

Keilani Gutierrez
ewethestuff said:

I'm very confused by PE4. There are like 7 whole cycles of posterior pelvic tilt work later in HS1, but in this exercise we're already supposed to have it??

 

 

People really have different strengths/weaknesses. All the shoulder stuff I can do with 10lbs already, but the pelvic tilt sections are nuts.

my body feels really unnatural in these positions too. yesterday I tuck pressed into a Headstand just to see how it was and when i was already up there I was like "oops, gotta tilt the pelvis" and once I got the right line i was like "man, this feels awkward, its like im pointing my junk like it was a laser beam turret"  :huh:

 

years of bike riding....how you have prepared me for this epic journey of patience....and social awkwardness. <_<

FredInChina

What surprised me most is that for a total beginner, it will take 6 cycles to eventually get on your hands - that's 18 months if there are no roadblocks anywhere...

Not getting into a handstand for a year and a half feels like an awful lot of time for someone wanting to learn handstand! :wacko: Talk about getting us "hungry for the ball!" ;)

To me, all this shoulder stuff is pretty and probably essential, but my main focus is on my wrists. You'll all be having fun on your hands doing shoulder dislocates, while I'll still be doing wrist work :)

 

KeilaniG said:

(...) pointing my junk like it was a laser beam turret (...)

 

Here, that is what I call a good cue! :D

Coach Sommer

- 18 months for those of you who are so tight you auditioned for a zombie role in "I am Legend" and every single element has to start at week 1.

- The rest of you will probably find that there are multiple elements that you will be able to start at week 5 or even week 9.

- Regardless, what does it matter? As long as it gets done, who cares how long it takes? Enjoy the journey.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jon Douglas

Points to anyone who can say it better than that ^^


I'm happy for it to take as long as it does :) This was meant to be purely an observation thread about our different experiences and str/weaknesses.

Jon Douglas
ewethestuff said:

I'm very confused by PE4. There are like 7 whole cycles of posterior pelvic tilt work later in HS1, but in this exercise we're already supposed to have it??

 

 

People really have different strengths/weaknesses. All the shoulder stuff I can do with 10lbs already, but the pelvic tilt sections are nuts.

This one's not so bad, since it's very close to the lower back position in a hollow hold with the floor to press against. It's not too difficult, but basics make up everything :)

The later ones with the PPT in the air, or suspended between things, are a different matter...

Sven Ravnstag

I'm surprised by:

 

1) The difficulty of properly performed headstand. Having worked handstands (albeit without the stringent form requirements of HS 1), I thought I'd likely fly through the first several HS PEs.  However, when form is emphasized, I found PE2 week one to be a comfortable starting place

 

2) The difficulty of the shoulder extension iMs.  I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by this though, as the Arch Body Hold is the most difficult of the F7s for me.

Jon Douglas
Steve Sisk said:

2) The difficulty of the shoulder extension iMs.  I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by this though, as the Arch Body Hold is the most difficult of the F7s for me.

Actually, I was surprised how straightforward I found these, expecting them to be very difficult. I had been working the hell out of 'active' German hangs for quite a while however, so I guess this direction is pretty well covered by that. The flexion with a hollow body is harder for me...

Alessandro Mainente

what surprise me was the attention to details, i did for my clients in the past a sort of approach for hs composed by 10 steps and the contribute was by forum and my gym course....

but when i saw the H1...definitely i didn't though that the approach could be so deep for every single steps...amazing

Steve Borvick
Coach Sommer said:

- 18 months for those of you who are so tight you auditioned for a zombie role in "I am Legend" and every single element has to start at week 1.

- The rest of you will probably find that there are multiple elements that you will be able to start at week 5 or even week 9.

Is this also applicable in F1 - the book says to start from week 1 and does not mention starting in week 5 or 9?

(maybe it's different because f1 has more straight arm work...)

Coach Sommer
Steve Borvick said:
Coach Sommer said:

- The rest of you will probably find that there are multiple elements that you will be able to start at week 5 or even week 9.

Is this also applicable in F1 - the book says to start from week 1 and does not mention starting in week 5 or 9?

(maybe it's different because f1 has more straight arm work...)

 

This was discussed in detail in the F1 forum.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

Jon Douglas
alex87 said:

what surprise me was the attention to details, i did for my clients in the past a sort of approach for hs composed by 10 steps and the contribute was by forum and my gym course....

but when i saw the H1...definitely i didn't though that the approach could be so deep for every single steps...amazing

Yeah, I like the way the mobility approaches the shoulders, ppt, and bodyline from half a dozen different directions, incrementing the difficulty as it goes. Very methodical, very idiot-proof. Clearly a *lot* of work went into the course development.

Steve Borvick

I must of missed it, my bad :facepalm:

Jon Douglas
Steve Borvick said:

I must of missed it, my bad :facepalm:

Be wary of how quickly the reps/time ramps up after the first week though. Easy to bite off more than you can chew ^_^

Keilani Gutierrez
Charm said:

Be wary of how quickly the reps/time ramps up after the first week though. Easy to bite off more than you can chew ^_^

heard that.  man, looking at how the program progresses after the Prep stage.....I'm pumped. super pumped.

Peter Sbirakos

Now that is the funniest thing I've read all week!  Apparently, I am Legend 2 is coming out.  Time to audition for THAT!!

 

Coach Sommer said:

- 18 months for those of you who are so tight you auditioned for a zombie role in "I am Legend" and every single element has to start at week 1.
 

Jon Douglas
Peter Sbirakos said:

Now that is the funniest thing I've read all week!  Apparently, I am Legend 2 is coming out.  Time to audition for THAT!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they'd have the potential for a bad-ass planche, with shoulders basically welded into their sockets and pointing forward (assuming they reach forward and all). It's not huge on shoulder health, but I'd imagine they have other priorities at that stage.