This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Lower back pain from ABH ?

Started by MrPuppeh, May 24, 2013 · 12 Replies · 507 Views

MrPuppeh

Hi !

 

I've been experiencing some lower back pain the next day after doing Arch Body Hold. The pain is on the left side and it feels like nerve pain and it happens when I do the movement very similar to Standing trunk circle ( SL/PE2>IM ) 

 

But the pain is only the next day - Then it goes away.

 

Have you experienced the same thing ?

Keilani Gutierrez
MrPuppeh said:

Hi !

 

I've been experiencing some lower back pain the next day after doing Arch Body Hold. The pain is on the left side and it feels like nerve pain and it happens when I do the movement very similar to Standing trunk circle ( SL/PE2>IM ) 

 

But the pain is only the next day - Then it goes away.

 

Have you experienced the same thing ?

describe the pain for me. is it like a nerve pinch pain? or muscle pain? 

 

something you can do(I do it as i get up from ABH before the iM) is that after I come back down to the ground, I slide myself back into a childs pose(from yoga, your knees are under your belly and your back is stretched, kind of like a fetal position) take a deep breath and get back up after loosening up a bit. 

 

then perform the iM and get back to it! 

m6shifter

during the ABH I feel the lower back muscles working and hamstrings too. The hip circles seem to loosen things up. When all the sets are done  I feel great....

MrPuppeh
KeilaniG said:

describe the pain for me. is it like a nerve pinch pain? or muscle pain? 

 

something you can do(I do it as i get up from ABH before the iM) is that after I come back down to the ground, I slide myself back into a childs pose(from yoga, your knees are under your belly and your back is stretched, kind of like a fetal position) take a deep breath and get back up after loosening up a bit. 

 

then perform the iM and get back to it! 

the pain is like a nerve pinch pain.

 

Ok I will try your suggestion, hope it works. These back pains keep me a bit worried... 

 

Why can't just everything be okay with me like a normal person? But NOO, after I cure one issue then another one appears.

FredInChina
MrPuppeh said:

(...) after I cure one issue then another one appears.

 

You are a normal person... B)

 

Here is the metaphor:

 

Jon Douglas
FredInChina said:

You are a normal person... B)

 

Here is the metaphor:

 

That's the truth of it.

This is where those courses really excel. They shine a harsh light onto each of your weaknesses one by one, shoring up the average one step at a time until even what you regard as your weakness is beyond the level of most people.

 

Well, in theory :)

dritar

Arch body hold in particular shines the light of a thousand suns in your weaknesses :).

wheezer
Charm said:
They shine a harsh light onto each of your weaknesses one by one, shoring up the average one step at a time until even what you regard as your weakness is beyond the level of most people.

 

Wow... amazingly well put.

Jon Douglas
wheezer said:

Wow... amazingly well put.

It's a gift ^_^

thecolin

I've switched my focus in my ABH hold from really tensing my lower back/glutes, to primarily tensing my glutes and legs, while supporting my upper body with my lats and trying to stay as long as possible (stretching out the arms, keeping my legs straight), if that makes any sense. When I was focusing more on lower back tension, I got a fairly sore there. I'm still waiting for the seminar next month to see if this form is correct or not, but so far it's working, I'm getting good height and I'm not sore anymore.

Primate

ABH is my nemesis.  i have stress fractures in my lumbar vertebrae which pretty much caused me to stop doing any kind of back arches due to it causing pain for several days afterward.  As a result, my whole posterior chain is weak, and I need to do more ABH!

 

This has worked for me and my personal areas of weakness, so it may not be appropriate for you Mr Puppeh, but I try to concentrate on actually holding my pelvis in a posterior pelvic tilt (not that I can get there, but that is what I try) while going up into the arch.  this means that my pelvis is aligned as it would be for dish (hollow body hold) and I arch up with my glutes and thoracic back.  This works my whole spine which is very weak, rather than just hinging from my lumbar, which causes the nerve pain that you describe.

Michael Borregaard
Primate said:

ABH is my nemesis.  i have stress fractures in my lumbar vertebrae which pretty much caused me to stop doing any kind of back arches due to it causing pain for several days afterward.  As a result, my whole posterior chain is weak, and I need to do more ABH!

 

This has worked for me and my personal areas of weakness, so it may not be appropriate for you Mr Puppeh, but I try to concentrate on actually holding my pelvis in a posterior pelvic tilt (not that I can get there, but that is what I try) while going up into the arch.  this means that my pelvis is aligned as it would be for dish (hollow body hold) and I arch up with my glutes and thoracic back.  This works my whole spine which is very weak, rather than just hinging from my lumbar, which causes the nerve pain that you describe.

Primate - that advice is solid gold. I stumbled on this post after suffering from knifeing lumbar pain during training that has prevented me from working out for more than a week (at least the SLS, SL, MN day). It appears I have been doing just what you used to - trying to get the whole movement with a lumbar arch.

I tried out your cues - carefully tensing all leg muscles, pointing the feet, then tightening the glutes and feeling the legs go up almost magically. Then I lifted my arms, careful to use the upper back, and letting the arms lead the upper body up, rather than lifting the upper body from the back and trying to lift the arms later. Didn't do the PPT though, just let the pelvis follow naturally. It felt completely different in my body. My lumbar region was reasonably relaxed, and I felt strong and grounded. It felt like I had reasonable ROM. When the timer went off, I was surprised and just stayed in the hold for a bit.

Did you get any feedback on your form at the seminar?

Burtchell345

This one gives me issues too, and I believe its do from my tight hamstrings and it-band. I've been adding rolling back into my sessions and noticed a huge increase in arch and i can keep my feet together now, but I'm still having issues keeping my legs together. https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/13278-slpe-1-trouble/