I have never seen anyone getting directly into an iron cross from hanging in a competition.
How difficult is this?
the movement is in this video, provided by the link below, at 6:26
Started by Cristian.Sirius, May 23, 2013 · 12 Replies · 3,717 Views
I have never seen anyone getting directly into an iron cross from hanging in a competition.
How difficult is this?
the movement is in this video, provided by the link below, at 6:26
There you have a real butterfly to cross and not some odd kip action. I'm pretty sure someone has done that in a competition too.
Cool video anyway.
Look for Balandin and his "patented" skills Balandin 1 (from hang to maltese) and Balandin 2 from hang to inverted cross, he does your butterfly (hang to cross) plus extra.
https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/7966-iron-cross-from-the-bottom-position/
I have no idea it was called "butterfly"
Thx anyway.
Cristian.Sirius said:I have never seen anyone getting directly into an iron cross from hanging in a competition.
How difficult is this?
the movement is in this video, provided by the link below, at 6:26
That's a muscle-up to cross. It's rarely done in competition because it's not worth more than a regular cross.
If done with perfectly straight arms, it's called a 'butterfly'.
Hari_Seldon said:That's a muscle-up to cross. It's rarely done in competition because it's not worth more than a regular cross.
If done with perfectly straight arms, it's called a 'butterfly'.
that's pretty lame if it isn't worth more than a regular cross. there must definitely be a not-so-obvious reason for this being like that.
KeilaniG said:that's pretty lame if it isn't worth more than a regular cross. there must definitely be a not-so-obvious reason for this being like that.
Perhaps the fact that it's not much more difficult than a cross?
-shrugg- i'm not at the stage to know yet, so i don't know.
Hari_Seldon said:That's a muscle-up to cross. It's rarely done in competition because it's not worth more than a regular cross.
This is about the only thing I don't like about watching high-level gymnastic competition ![]()
Butterfly to inverted cross too! Looks intense! But hey, I wouldn't know ![]()
It's at 3:30
well, Muscle-Up used to be an A value skill. Now, it's not even an "A". Technically you could give it a non group A but Muscle-Up to Cross isn't in the code (though MU to BL still is I think).
Giving a muscle up a point value on rings, would be like giving running a value on floor. It's like that for two reasons:
1. Running and the muscle up are just what you do in order to do the most skills!
2. Relative to everything else, they aren't difficult enough to warrant a point value.
I am not a gymnast, but this is what I have gathered through my experiences on this forum, talking to numerous gymnastics coaches, and personal experience.
P.S - This is off topic, but what is the correct term: gymnastic coach, or gymnastics coach? My understanding is that gymnastics is a noun, and gymnastic is an adjective. Is this correct?
aiken54 said:Giving a muscle up a point value on rings, would be like giving running a value on floor. It's like that for two reasons:
1. Running and the muscle up are just what you do in order to do the most skills!
2. Relative to everything else, they aren't difficult enough to warrant a point value.
I am not a gymnast, but this is what I have gathered through my experiences on this forum, talking to numerous gymnastics coaches, and personal experience.
P.S - This is off topic, but what is the correct term: gymnastic coach, or gymnastics coach? My understanding is that gymnastics is a noun, and gymnastic is an adjective. Is this correct?
I'm actually not 100% sure why the muscle up has no point value on the rings. The forwards roll with bent body has an "A" value, and it's pretty much the same difficulty. Similarly, the back and front handsprings are "A"-valued on floor, and the same reasoning could be used to argue that they shouldn't be counted.
Gymnastics coach is the preferred term.