Anyone here who can recommend books about functional training? Have searched the web, but cant find any good ones except BGB.
Recommend books with functional training?
Started by junior, January 25, 2009 · 2 Replies · 3,197 Views
How are you defining functional training?
Movements that mimic real world activities? If so, not many gymnastic exercises meet that criteria. Only pullups, dips, rope climbing. I would recommend Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe.
Before I found this site I bought Jon Hinds monkey bar gymnasium DVD set (about a month before I found the BGB program). They both have similar exercises although the emphasis is a little different with each. Jon Hinds set does not have static holds and there is not a DVD exclusively covering the core either. He does include a DVD on running though and seems to cover explosive moves a little more. He seems to have a condensed version of what you would get if you had BGB as well as the Handstand Chronicles and the Dynamic Physique. I believe with the exception of the running DVD the program here should have most the material he has and more. And as far as Flexibility he uses a style of Yoga (Eishens Yoga?) I'm relatively new to training so I don't know of any other programs using body weight.