This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE1 and HS/PE1>iM form check

Started by Geoff, May 17, 2013 · 5 Replies · 288 Views

Geoff

After two months of playing with the tripod and the seated static shoulder flexion (with 5kg weight) I was wondering about how I was doing. I also have a question about shaking. Judging by how my muscles are working/stabilizing, I would have said that I was shaking a lot. However in the video it does not seem to be case, there is some movement, but it does not seem as terrible as I thought it would be. Does mastery of an exercise mean that there should be no reason to even think that there is any shaking going on (e.g. by not feeling any real correcting or stabilising being done) or does mastery mean that there is no visible shaking?

 

Youtube links:

FredInChina

Very nice Geof, good effort.

Indeed, at 45s, your headstand becomes a bit shaky - it is not visible that your muscles are shaking though.

The iM looks good to me, but you'll want a green light from someone that knows better. :) (you should maybe try not to push your head forward that much?)

Keilani Gutierrez

looks pretty good, man. I know people have personal preferences with their headstand, do what works for you, however if the angle is influenced by a perceived fear of hurting your neck, id be wise to also start small on loadig the neck although after it won't pose a threat if balance is distributed between the hands and head.

I saw that shook, but it wasn't aomething to worry about, you're probably just loadig too much in one place. where do you put your weight? even on all three or more on your hands at this stage? nice tuck up in the beginning, btw. looked rad :P

as for the iM, it looks great, yet a diagonal rear angle would help as well on demo stratig mastery. as long as your scapula is retracted and depressed at the ROM you're doing there and if you're at shoulder width, i think you're good to go. :)

Alessandro Mainente

my tip for your headstand position is put on the floor the medial part of it (more near to the back) the sensation of feeling the balance loosing the weigth from the hands is pretty nice and from y experience is less stressfull for the neck (i pass at least 20 minutes a day doing headspin so i know what i'm telling)..

for the rest if the goal of that position is feeling the balance, this was the way that worked for me!

Geoff

Thanks for the feedback guys!

FredInChina said:

Very nice Geof, good effort.

Indeed, at 45s, your headstand becomes a bit shaky - it is not visible that your muscles are shaking though.

The iM looks good to me, but you'll want a green light from someone that knows better. :) (you should maybe try not to push your head forward that much?)

Haha, I have a tendency to push my head forwards (even when not exercising)! In all the other sets I actively tucked my chin in, but of course I forget to do it for the one set I record! :D  I hope that by paying more attention to neck position while working out, I will learn to keep my chin a bit more tucked in normally.

 

KeilaniG said:

looks pretty good, man. I know people have personal preferences with their headstand, do what works for you, however if the angle is influenced by a perceived fear of hurting your neck, id be wise to also start small on loadig the neck although after it won't pose a threat if balance is distributed between the hands and head.

I saw that shook, but it wasn't aomething to worry about, you're probably just loadig too much in one place. where do you put your weight? even on all three or more on your hands at this stage? nice tuck up in the beginning, btw. looked rad :P

as for the iM, it looks great, yet a diagonal rear angle would help as well on demo stratig mastery. as long as your scapula is retracted and depressed at the ROM you're doing there and if you're at shoulder width, i think you're good to go. :)

I try to put my weight evenly on all three. At the end it seems as if though my arms need to work harder, but I do not remember whether that is because I am putting less weight on my head or whether it is due to fatigue. Hmm, I will pay a bit more attention to the cause of shaking in the future.

 

About head positioning, when I started training the tripod I tried several different positions, however I felt there were no real advantages or disadvantages to the different positions. Thus I tried to mimick the video of HS/PE1 as well as possible and stuck with this. Do you think a different neck angle might be better?

 

I think I am doing the iM correctly since I can feel my traps exploding when the bar goes overhead. This did not occur before I started following all of your cues for this exercise! :) Good tip on the camera angle, will keep that in mind in the future.

 

alex87 said:

my tip for your headstand position is put on the floor the medial part of it (more near to the back) the sensation of feeling the balance loosing the weigth from the hands is pretty nice and from y experience is less stressfull for the neck (i pass at least 20 minutes a day doing headspin so i know what i'm telling)..

for the rest if the goal of that position is feeling the balance, this was the way that worked for me!

Do you mean in

? I have tried doing it like that and it did not really do anything comfort wise. I can imagine that that is a better head position to have if you're headspinning for several minutes though :) I will try it again and see how it feels.
Micawberian
KeilaniG said:

... as long as your scapula is retracted and depressed at the ROM you're doing there and if you're at shoulder width, i think you're good to go....

Retract and depress? I thought we were supposed to be elevating and retracting, with slight internal rotation? Whaaat. Can you please explain further? I am basing my thoughts off of Joshua's post in your thread here: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/10954-shoulder-paindiscomfort-while-performing-hspeim1/