As I understand it, a limber takes more strength, a kickover more flexibility, correct? A limber is more of a guys skill, a kickover/walkover more of a ladies skill?
Starting tumbling late, at 33, I plan to only go to back handspring after I achieve a kickover or even walkover. This may seem impossible for someone who has no gymnastics or flexibility background, but training every day, I am getting closer. I can kick off the ground higher from a backbend every week.
I also have this idea in mind that unilateral movements, like a kickover, create less torque on the joints than bilateral movements such as a limber. The reason for this being the muscles don't limit range of motion by working against eachother.
In a kickover, the spine gets put in a slight twist, which I perceive as protective of the spin. In a limber, the spin is forced into a limited ROM.
Unilateral movements accommodate more ROM which can lead to less injury. I noticed how back hand spring walkouts are smoother and more silent than flick flacks. How walkovers can be done slowly but hand springs not, how in general unilateral movements can be done more slowly. Slow is good for an older body, rather than muscling through a movement.
Just ideas I appreciate any feedback.