This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Badis Masterys and Formchecks

Started by Badi, May 12, 2013 · 27 Replies · 838 Views

Badi

Hello,

 

since my last weeks were kinda busy i couldnt really practice alot of F1+H1.

Thats why I overthought my whole programming.

I try to rerecord every mastery I already finished (not so much ;)) and gather everything including formchecks in one thread.

 

I would really appreciate it if you guys could either comment on: 

A: Did I really master it so I can progress to the next element

B: Is the form correct to progress?

 

I want to start with the following formcheck:

 

 

 

Thanks already

Badi

 

Michael Ho

Video is private

Badi

Oh thanks, I fixed it.

thecolin

A few things I noticed:

 

It looks like you need to improve your compression on your straddle up. You need to sit up a lot further, and bring your legs up more.

 

You need to get down further on your cossack squat. Your working leg should bend completely, ass to heel.

 

It's hard to tell with the dark socks on the dark carpet, but for your PPP it looks like your feet are in a traditional push up position. They need to be pointed with the top of your feet on the ground.

Badi

Thanks. These are the things Im still working on. It just seema that the compression is not getting better at all :(

Another thing on the cossacks:

I can go lower but my knee would be in front of my foot. Although the video in F1 shows that this would be correct I dont think it is since going this far over your foot is just toxic for the knee. What do you think?

MrPuppeh

Improvements  that need to be done, in my opinion.

 

1. In the Straddle up your feet and toes need to be pointed and you need to increase your pike stretch ( as mentioned above bring your legs and torso further )

 

2. The Cossack squats need to go deeper with full foot touching the ground, if You demonstrated complete mastery of the SLS/PE1>IM ( Skiers) then this should condition your knees and you will have no problem. And there is still room for improvement in the twisting squat ( It seems that you are struggling with the movement )  Don't worry, it is not easy and it will come with time.

 

3. In the PPP  you need to increase your planche lean ( so that your hands are in front of your hips) and you need to keep your scapula protracted and depressed. Check the videos and pay attention on how the back is in a slight hollow. If you are not at the Planche leans at the moment then its ok, you can improve 

and practice the scapula protraction as this is the key element to make your planche stronger and aesthetically pleasing.

 

It is very important to master these exercises with good form and without a struggle. When at first I saw sPL PE1 ( scapular shrugs) I thought i would spend 2 weeks on this exercises because it seemed so easy. When I learned the difference between good form and bad form that changed my aspect of the importance of it in GST, so it has been a bit over a month I think and I am still at sPL PE1 at week 7. 

 

Investing time in these prepatory exercises is important to have a smooth, injury free further development.

 

Sorry, my english is not that good.

Joshua Naterman

Xiaopings are way too fast. Half that speed, at the fastest. 2s up, 2s down at the fastest. You'll find that this makes a big difference.

 

MN PE2 is good form for the ROM you have, but I believe you will want to build this to where you're  very nearly as compressed as the example athlete.

 

PPP: I see you hinging at the lower back. Your hand position is not anywhere near far enough down to claim mastery.

 

General issues: You only showed a few reps. If you want comments on mastery, you need to show the entire set, preferably your third, fourth, or fifth set.

 

2-3 reps is just not enough to say anything at all about your progress.

Badi

Hey

Thanks for the input. The things I posted are the things I am working on at the moment. Some of the elements are speed up so the video isnt too long. I can crank out more rep of PPP i.e but I dont really want to do it when I cant even get 2-3 reps.

The next couple of days ill post the pe1 mastery stuff. Ill probably have to redo something :D

Michael Ho
Badi said:

Another thing on the cossacks:

I can go lower but my knee would be in front of my foot. Although the video in F1 shows that this would be correct I dont think it is since going this far over your foot is just toxic for the knee. What do you think?

I don't think knees over the foot cause any damage. Don't have any studies for this but I'm pretty sure that's broscience + I squat all the time with no care for the knee going the foot and have no knee pain

Joshua Naterman
Michael Ho said:

I don't think knees over the foot cause any damage. Don't have any studies for this but I'm pretty sure that's broscience + I squat all the time with no care for the knee going the foot and have no knee pain

Speaking of broscience...

 

Seriously though, if your weight is centered on the middle of your foot then you are probably not going to cause any problems. If your weight is on the ball of the supporting foot, you may have some issues. You have to be careful... Light people can get away with some things that heavier people cannot, but I don't see any need to go lower than a proper squat (hip crease or ASIS even with the knee) on those.

 

Some people can go all the way down without a problem, but I'm not one of them... my ankles are just not that flexible. I get down to the proper squat depth, but not lower. My knee is also slightly over my toes, but that's not an issue because my weight stays centered. You can feel the difference in your knee right away, when changing from weight centered to weight at the ball of the foot.

Jon Douglas
Joshua Naterman said:

 my ankles are just not that flexible.

 

SLS/SE2 cured my left ankle limiting my SLS in literally one or two sessions. It was nuts; had been bothering me and requiring a reliance on counterweight for years.

Keegan Y

The whole "knees going past the toes is dangerous" myth comes from a misinterpretation of a study that was conducted in which athletes were allowed to squat naturally (in which the knees naturally went forwards of the toes) and then squatted with a board placed in front of their knees to restrict knee displacement. In both types of squats the forces at both the knee and hip joint were measured.

The study found that allowing the knees to naturally track forwards beyond the toes did indeed lead to greater forces on the knees over the knee restricted squat. However, the decrease in torque on the knees with the restricted squat (a 22% decrease), was accompanied by a huge increase in torque at the hip joint (a 1070% increase).

To date I know of not a single exercise science study that has ever shown that allowing the knees to naturally track in front of the toes is damaging or dangerous to the knee joint. This seems to be one of those exercise myths that simply refuses to die though and unfortunately gets repeated by laymen and trainers alike.

Like Josh said though, ankle mobility will limit to what depth one can squat safely (as coming up onto the toes will significantly decrease hip muscle contribution to squatting and can indeed be harmful to the knees for heavier people).

So as long as you an keep the heel down (foot flat), and knee tracking correctly over the toes, don't worry about whether the knee goes in front of your toes.

thecolin

Additionally, it's impossible for anyone to do a full ROM SLS without your knee going significantly past your toes. You'll just fall backwards unless you have a counterweight. My left ankle has a few degrees less mobility than my right. And I can do pistols on my right leg, but on my left I just fall backwards at the bottom since I can't dorsiflex enough to center my body weight over my foot.

 

The only time I've ever had knee pain from SLSs is when I tried to compensate for poor ankle mobility by doing them with my heel raised. So as was already mentioned, it's important to keep your heel down.

Badi

thanks for the input.  I really love this community. <3

Joshua Naterman
Charm said:

SLS/SE2 cured my left ankle limiting my SLS in literally one or two sessions. It was nuts; had been bothering me and requiring a reliance on counterweight for years.

Hasn't done that for me yet, but I haven't focused on that... here's hoping! I have always had tight joints my whole life, even as a kid. Sadly I didn't build up any flexibility during that time to counter naturally tight joints, so progress is going to be quite slow :(

 

I am working much more on the ankle and hip mobility than I have before, and will focus more on that. I happen to have pretty long femurs, so I won't be surprised if I always need a counterweight. Even so, I will try to accomplish whatever I can.

FredInChina
Joshua Naterman said:

(...) I won't be surprised if I always need a counterweight.

 

 

Don't let these long femurs bring you down Joshua, less veggies, and a crapton of potatoes with pasta will build a nice counterweight in no time. :idea::P

trw

You guys are saying that the full foot should stay in contact with the ground during the Cossak squat, but in the video the athlete lifts his heels at the bottom of each rep. It's in the pictures too. And there's no note about keeping the heel on the ground. Do you guys think that's wrong? I'm not trying to argue, I'd just like to clear this up.

Keegan Y

Don't have time to search through the whole forum to find it ATM, but Coach already responded to that question (though worded slightly differently) in another thread saying (paraphrasing)

"The goal is to keep the heel down, this is something that the example athlete is constantly working on due to him being extremely powerful in the ankle joint"

I think Josh made a good point in that smaller/lighter athletes may be able to get away with such practices, but the bigger you are (and therefore the greater the forces) the more you need to avoid lifting the heel.

Joshua Naterman
trw said:

You guys are saying that the full foot should stay in contact with the ground during the Cossak squat, but in the video the athlete lifts his heels at the bottom of each rep. It's in the pictures too. And there's no note about keeping the heel on the ground. Do you guys think that's wrong? I'm not trying to argue, I'd just like to clear this up.

This gets into something of a technicality, and could vary from person to person, but it is a very good question.

 

This is probably best answered with video, or in person, because it will take a lot of words to really do the truth justice.

 

If you're going down to just a 90 degree angle, or hamstrings parallel(ish) to the floor, then you should be able to keep a flat foot.

 

However, some (and probably most) people are build in a way that will make it necessary for the heel to come off the ground as they continue to get lower, just like a deep front squat will. That's why Olympic lifting shoes have a ~1" heel build into them... this seemingly small change in heel elevation can dramatically change how the entire body moves through space.

 

So, as long as you feel IN TOTAL CONTROL of the movement, I would not worry about your heel coming off the ground, just make sure you aren't twisting at the knee or the ankle.

 

Both have benefits, but you will need to take the heel-off-the-ground version quite slowly for a while, as it puts a LOT of stress on the achilles tendon and the tissues of the bottom of the foot.

Badi

Ok I revisited every "mastered" PE and I think I have to start all over again? I was not into such details that seems to be "required" :/

 

Anyway since I have a shitty internet the following "mastered" videos will come up in the next couple of hours. Every Video was taken at the last set.

 

 

 

shrugs + iM

 

 

bent hollow hold + iM

 

trw

Ah, thanks for the insight. A note saying as much would certainly be useful on the exercise page itself.

 

Sorry for the thread hijack, Badi. I'll let the more experienced comment on your form.

Badi

Hey... I didnt really get what you say... I am not a native english speaker ;)

 

I gathered everything in one post, maybe ill gather it always on the very first when it adds up

trw

I meant that if we should strive to keep our heels on the ground during the SLS exercises, a note telling us to do this would be useful in the F1 course, especially since the athlete in the video and pictures does not do so. It's a small issue, and now I'm just distracting us from the original conversation. Nothing to worry about here, carry on!

thecolin

Your stiff-leg windmill looks a bit odd to me, but maybe it's just my untrained eye. It's almost as if your arm is fixed and your body rotates around it, instead of bending down as your arm rotates in the socket, if that makes any sense.

Badi

Hey which arm do you mean? I did alot of experimenting with the position cause the iM should make me feel a stretch in the harmstrings and hip area. With my "technique" I feel a pretty decent stretch sensation in these areas... but maybe its still wrong?