Coursera course staring in July: Exercise Physiology

Started by Joshua Slocum, May 11, 2013 · 29 Replies · 6,596 Views

Jon Douglas

I'm taking a couple via Coursera; I'll see whether I can fit this in with my award study. Would be interesting to get a formal grounding.

FredInChina

I could not find a cost for the course without having to register (Darn internet marketing! :()

Does someone know? :)

 

I'd be interested with your feedback on their programs Charm :)

Jon Douglas
FredInChina said:

I could not find a cost for the course without having to register (Darn internet marketing! :()

Does someone know? :)

 

I'd be interested with your feedback on their programs Charm :)

Coursera's free. It's an excellent program allowing you to pursue study for the love of learning rather than with a specific goal in mind. I've had great experiences working through some computational linguistics courses that aren't offered anywhere in Australia.

It requires some time committment for study load, but is an initiative that restores a bit of faith in humanity :)

Joshua Naterman

https://www.coursera.org/course/lifenutr

 

 

This is an excellent nutrition course. I'm taking it for fun :) I highly recommend that everyone with the time and desire to spend 1-2 hours per week learning about nutrition to take this.

 

Dr. Benardot will be guest lecturing on energy balance in one of the later weeks.

Joshua Naterman

Some of the courses will allow you to join a "Signature Track" that will end in you getting a certificate and formal recognition from the host university. Welcome to the budding world of higher quality online college education.

FredInChina

Thanks Charm & Joshua.

Are the courses live at a fixed time, or are they recorded and "on demand"?

Jon Douglas
FredInChina said:

Thanks Charm & Joshua.

Are the courses live at a fixed time, or are they recorded and "on demand"?

My name's Jon, by the way :)

Lectures are available for streaming or download, there's usually a live chat or two per week scheduled to keep people on the same page. They're not necessary though, as long as coursework is in on time. I rarely join them; I prefer to study alone, not for any particular reason.

Joshua Slocum
Joshua Naterman said:

https://www.coursera.org/course/lifenutr

 

 

This is an excellent nutrition course. I'm taking it for fun :) I highly recommend that everyone with the time and desire to spend 1-2 hours per week learning about nutrition to take this.

 

Dr. Benardot will be guest lecturing on energy balance in one of the later weeks.

Unfortunately I'm already taking two neuroscience courses so I don't have time for more until I finish with those. But I'll put that one on my watch list so I can try to take it next time around. 

FredInChina

Thanks Jon :)

Jon Douglas
FredInChina said:

Thanks Jon :)

Word. Knowledge is SO addictive.

Art Vandelay

Wow this is awesome, free courses! I've already got an undergrad degree in Exercise Physiology so I'll probably skip this one, but thanks for the link.

Hernandez C

You think I'll get the stuff in this course? I dont have a lot of background in these subjects and all I know is from hanging around these forums and other internet places

Joshua Naterman
Art Vandelay said:

Wow this is awesome, free courses! I've already got an undergrad degree in Exercise Physiology so I'll probably skip this one, but thanks for the link.

It says that an undergrad degree is a recommended benchmark for taking the course. I don't know if it will be mostly review for you and me, or if it will have new stuff...

Joshua Naterman
Hernandez C said:

You think I'll get the stuff in this course? I dont have a lot of background in these subjects and all I know is from hanging around these forums and other internet places

No idea, but if you don't get it you can learn more on your own! It's not like you're going to get an F :) You will just find out exactly what you need to learn more about!

Hercules

I'm currently doing the Intro to Human Physiology Course on there as a precursor to this course. That's been really good. It's the recommended background to the Exercise physiology course

 

If you don't have time for a course - then I'd recommend you just Enroll in the course and complete it when you have time. You won't get a certificate but you can do anything whenever you want.

Hernandez C

Ah the beauty of self teaching, I also recommend edX and obviously opencourseware, they have plenty of interesting courses too!

Art Vandelay

Too many free courses, not enough free time!

mike100

Very interesting courses currently taking the nutrition course joshua recommended.It is excellent.

FredInChina

This is really great, I've signed up for the next calculus, Greek history, and mathematical philosophy classes; It's been 30 years that I've wanted to dig deeper into these subjects. :)

 

Thanks a million for drawing my attention to this resource Hari Seldon :)

Art Vandelay

Just signed up for 18 courses, with 6 more on watchlist lol.

MrPuppeh

All these courses are for free?  :eek: 

mike100

yes they are.Amazing indeed^^

Joshua Slocum

For everyone who's new to Coursera, these are two other sites that also offer free online courses from established universities:

 

https://www.edx.org/ - MIT, Harvard, Berkely, Rice, McGill, etc

https://www.udacity.com/ - I'm not sure where they get classes from, but they seem to be high quality

http://www.class-central.com/ - an aggregator for many 'free class' sites, including coursera, edx and udacity