Starting out

Started by arapahoepark, May 9, 2013 · 12 Replies · 3,070 Views

arapahoepark

Hey!

I am new and I have got Building the Gymnastic Body, I would assume that's the ideal place to start? I have have Conviction Conditioning 1 and 2 and Raising the Bar. What about then going to advanced stuff; any recommendations on that (I like to plan things out way in advance)?

Thanks!

Ravn

Welcome!

BtGB is a reference book, but there's been a lot of water under the bridge since it came out. Foundation 1-4 is where it's at these days, if you want to get to the point where you can begin advanced work. For the average person that is a journey of four to six years.

The foundation series is WAY more comprehensive than Convict Conditioning, which seems quite superficial in comparison.

arapahoepark

So I looked and the foundation series is only two parts?

Ravn

Part 3-4 will come out later this year, until then foundation 1-2 will easily keep you occupied. F1 contains 12-18 months worth of training for the average individual.

Joshua Slocum

BtGB was originally meant as a guide to help people learn to train in the gymnastics style, but a lot of people had trouble designing programming, and had trouble figuring out exactly where they should start. Because of all the confusion people had with BtGB, Coach Sommer designed the Foundation series as a four-part gymnastics strength training course that covers all the fundamentals. BtGB contains a lot of different exercises, but the programming is extremely DIY, and there's no mobility/joint preparation work. In comparison, each Foundation course still contains a lot of different exercises, but also has detailed programming, and mobility work that will improve your flexibility, joint health and active range of motion. 

 

 

arapahoepark said:

So I looked and the foundation series is only two parts?

Parts 3 and 4 are not yet released. They are currently being worked on. Given the delay between F1 and F2, I would guess they'll both be out by the end of the year at the latest (most likely earlier, since JO National's are done so I believe the competitive season is over). Since you're a beginner, it'll probably take you 1-3 years to get through all of the programming in F1+F2: I wouldn't be too worried about F3/4 yet. 

arapahoepark

So I see that I need stall bars? What exercises are the stall bars used for and/or what can I make up for it?

Joshua Slocum
arapahoepark said:

So I see that I need stall bars? What exercises are the stall bars used for and/or what can I make up for it?

A sizable fraction of the exercises need stall bars. If you have a playground nearby, the ladders there may be an acceptable substitute (just make sure they're really sturdy). Some people have had good success improvising using household furniture and other objects. There's a few threads in the F1 and F2 sub-forums where people have posted their methods for substituting equipment. 

 

If you think you want to keep up GST for the long term though, a good set of stall bars is a worthy investment. They are just as essential as a set of rings. 

arapahoepark

These bars are at the park by my house, if they aren't sufficient I could go elsewhere, as there are plenty in the area.

Would these qualify to be makeshift stall bars?

The last one, I am unsure because it curves; starts verticle at the bottom and them curves horizontally to attach to the 'floor' of play-equipment

post-6484-0-15051200-1368819329_thumb.jp

post-6484-0-48083000-1368819353_thumb.jp

post-6484-0-24991800-1368819365_thumb.jp

Jon Douglas
arapahoepark said:

These bars are at the park by my house, if they aren't sufficient I could go elsewhere, as there are plenty in the area.

Would these qualify to be makeshift stall bars?

The last one, I am unsure because it curves; starts verticle at the bottom and them curves horizontally to attach to the 'floor' of play-equipment

You're good apart from a stall bar equivalent to hang from. Your play equipment may include a fireman's pole with a frame around the top; if you put your back to the pole and hang from the frame this can work for some things.

arapahoepark
Charm said:

You're good apart from a stall bar equivalent to hang from. Your play equipment may include a fireman's pole with a frame around the top; if you put your back to the pole and hang from the frame this can work for some things.

Do you mind explaining a little further or do you have a pic?

Thanks!

Jon Douglas

Hmm, it's dark out so difficult to take a picture of this just now. I'll try an explanation and get back to you with a pic on the weekend sometime.

 

What I mean is that, for using the stall bars for most of the mobility elements and stretches you'll be fine with what you have shown there. For a number of F1 + F2 elements you also need to be able to hang on a pullup-type bar with your shoulders held in line with your hands by the bars behind.

A couple of playgrounds I have used have fireman's poles which have a rectangular frame around the top. If the equipment in the picture has this, you can climb out and hang on the frame, with the pole running up directly behind your spine. It won't be luxurious, but it will keep you strict on those elements.

FredInChina

Why don't you go out and experiment, and tell us what worked for you and what did not? :)

arapahoepark
Charm said:

Hmm, it's dark out so difficult to take a picture of this just now. I'll try an explanation and get back to you with a pic on the weekend sometime.

 

What I mean is that, for using the stall bars for most of the mobility elements and stretches you'll be fine with what you have shown there. For a number of F1 + F2 elements you also need to be able to hang on a pullup-type bar with your shoulders held in line with your hands by the bars behind.

A couple of playgrounds I have used have fireman's poles which have a rectangular frame around the top. If the equipment in the picture has this, you can climb out and hang on the frame, with the pole running up directly behind your spine. It won't be luxurious, but it will keep you strict on those elements.

Ah ok. Yes they do have those at the top.