Please let us know the details as you work them out, this sounds great!
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Gymnastic Bodies in Los Angeles
Started by flipson, May 9, 2013 · 39 Replies · 6,067 Views
I attended Yuri's 2-day seminar in L.A. and I can't recommend it highly enough. Yuri is a fantastic teacher, and was able to diagnose a number of mobility/positional issues I was having. The material went far beyond what I'm currently able to do, which is great because I have at least 2 years worth of drills to work on, and a number of things that I'll likely always benefit from regardless of how far I progress. He even showed us a bit of Kit Laughlin's stretching material. Having Yuri sit on your hamstring and shove you forward into a hip flexor stretch is an eye-opening experience. If you get a chance to attend a seminar, it's worth every penny.
I agree. I was also at the seminar and I whole-heartedly recommend it. Yuri did a great job breaking down the different elements and making the techniques accessible. He showed us different drills to help understand the feel and mechanics of a handstand, and demonstrated the different mistakes people made and how to correct them. He's a great teacher.
Antranik said:I workout at the santa monica rings. why don't you guys meet there? it's the best outdoor playground one can ask for with the best people ever! (not to mention all the various rings, pbars, high bars, traveling rings, etc)... sundays are the days when ALL the regulars go and play... so it's quite packed on those days, but weekdays are chill.. i'll be there tomorrow like usual, but i'm there about 3-4x a week if anyone wants to join. just go in google maps and search for "traveling rings, santa monica"
Note: This is NOT the muscle beach in venice (which is lame)... this is the ORIGINAL muscle beach in santa monica (OMB).
I spent four days in Santa Monica on a road trip I made this summer, and didn't do much but go to Muscle Beach. Nice weather, huge clean beach, ropes, rings, flying rings, bars, slacklines, showers, toilets, drinking-water, friendly and very skilled people, restaurants closeby... I think it's my favorite place in the world, nothing can compare. ![]()
Any people here working out in SF South Bay Area and San Diego downtown?
Will be spending some time through these places and would love to meet, hang/ workout with some folks from GB Forums.
Happy New Year fellow GB'ers!
I will be at Santa Monica from 7th to 10th January and would love to catch up/work out with anyone during this time. Tentatively I have targetted the "santa monica rings" and Crossfit Dogtown to train at.
I can be reached at coffee27@gmail.com
Hope to meet some of you then!
I am in/ near San Diego most of January. I might make trip up to LA area..
Hi guys!
I'll be in Santa Monica on May 4-11 for a business trip. Reading this post it seems I cannot miss this santa monica rings!
If anybody is around, I'll probably go on Monday morning or Friday/Saturday, the other days being busy with meetings...
Hey guys, Los Angelino here (I live in the Laurel Canyon area of the Hollywood Hills).
I would definitely like to meet with some other LA peeps doing F1/H1.
That brings up a question...
So, I am following the F1 & H1 programs, but I thought a little hands-on coaching might assist with my form and progress. I was wondering whether anyone had some suggestions for some good places to go in Los Angeles. I did a little Internet search and found about 4 places near me. I called around and just about every place said they would work with you on what you wanted to learn, so it looks as though I wouldn't be forced to follow anyone else's curriculum at all these places and could still follow F1/H1, but I want to make sure I am getting good coaching.
Anyway, here are some of the places I found:
LA School of Adult Gymnastics:
Broadway Gymnastics School
Mats Gymnastics & Physical Center
(no website)
All Olympia Gymnastics Center
Gymnastics Olympica
http://www.gymnasticsolympica.com/
Anyway, if anyone knows anything about any of these places, or any other in the Los Angeles area, your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
@Enkidu -
I'm also searching for a gymnastics center to use their stall bars & environment. For me, I value low cost first, then a peer group of ADULTS (many of these places look like they're for kids) and finally proximity to Santa Monica.
Curious to hear what you find out - I'm probably not going to research the issue for a month or due to work projects.
I went to Mats Gymnastic Center on Vermont. It's a great location- having been around for at least 40 years, it's as if Rocky was a gymnast- that kind of older retro feel. The owner is Coach Mori- He's an older guy and fun but direct about his training.
I wish it was a place I could do foundation work at on a daily basis as they have equipment and it's near my apartment in Silverlake but It has very limited hours- Open workout times on tuesday, thursday and saturday. There are some youth classes and one adult class on Saturdays at 12pm. I took the adult class on saturday which consisted of mostly older woman- 40-60 age range- I didn't mind that- what was good was it gave me a chance to move in a gymnastics setting and Coach Mori runs you through several sets of movements that got my blood going. I'll probably go again this coming weekend.
Hey,
Did you guys ever meet up? I've been going to the LA School of Gymnastics and have bought equipment (rings, parralets, pommel bucket, 20 ft climbing rope and stall bars) to put in my local gym (LIFT on la cienega). Would be good to all meet up sometime. I am based in Hollywood area.
Cheers,
David
David,
Nope we never got to meetup. I may be interested in meeting up to work out. I'm in Santa Monica but I work a few times a week out of WeHo. How do you split your training between LIFT and LASG?
John
Are you still coming out to the rings?
Antranik said:I workout at the santa monica rings. why don't you guys meet there? it's the best outdoor playground one can ask for with the best people ever! (not to mention all the various rings, pbars, high bars, traveling rings, etc)... sundays are the days when ALL the regulars go and play... so it's quite packed on those days, but weekdays are chill.. i'll be there tomorrow like usual, but i'm there about 3-4x a week if anyone wants to join. just go in google maps and search for "traveling rings, santa monica"
Note: This is NOT the muscle beach in venice (which is lame)... this is the ORIGINAL muscle beach in santa monica (OMB).
I train at LIFT in the mornings before work and at LAGS on the weekend. Santa Monica is too far from me for pre-work training. I reached out to the UCLA gymnastics center as it looks legit and is close to my office. Plus they have an open gym policy between certain hours if you qualify (think its being able to do a roundoff back handspring).