Training 5 times per week. Focussing a skill everyday or alternate them?

Started by TheSecondName, May 6, 2013 · 6 Replies · 6,015 Views

TheSecondName

I have been reading coach sommers' book ''building a gymnastic body''
I am now at chaptar 10 (program design options)
But I can't find if I have to train everyday the same skill or just once a week.

My major three exercise were I am been training for now is Fundamental Static Positions: Front Lever and Back Lever as well as Fundamental bodyweight exercise: the muscle up.

So what would be a good programm?


Day one: Front and Back Lever training (steps from the program/book)
Day two: Muscle Up training (steps from the program/book)

Day three: OFF + mobillity work

Day four: Repeat


What do you think?

 

Daniel Burnham

My general guideline is to train something at least twice a week if you want to get better.  Once if you want to maintain. I have found this to be true of most exercises.  Deadlift is one that was a little different.

Jon Douglas
Daniel Burnham said:

My general guideline is to train something at least twice a week if you want to get better.  Once if you want to maintain. I have found this to be true of most exercises.  Deadlift is one that was a little different.

This ^

I'm improving much more rapidly on elements practising them 3x a week rather than once or twice in 7-10 days. Obviously that means not going to your max, that'll make it hard to recover in time for the next one.

 

Edit;

I say this taking for granted that you are following Daniel's advice below; more work is not better, only more productive work is better :)

Daniel Burnham

I hesitate to say this because many people have the tendency to overtrain but the more you practice an element the faster you will be better at it.  You MUST do this accordance with your recover abilities.  Everyone is limited by recovery and cannot train every day without break.  Learn to find your peak along this curve between recovery and practices. This will be your point of maximal gain.  

Mats Trane
TheSecondName said:

I have been reading coach sommers' book ''building a gymnastic body''

I am now at chaptar 10 (program design options)

But I can't find if I have to train everyday the same skill or just once a week.

My major three exercise were I am been training for now is Fundamental Static Positions: Front Lever and Back Lever as well as Fundamental bodyweight exercise: the muscle up.

So what would be a good programm?

Day one: Front and Back Lever training (steps from the program/book)

Day two: Muscle Up training (steps from the program/book)

Day three: OFF + mobillity work

Day four: Repeat

What do you think?

If you have the money, invest in F1. Everything about programming is in it. Step by step week by week.

 

If you dont. You could go with:

 

Day1 Pullday

Day2 Push

Day3 Legs+Core

Day4 Rest

 

I had a period of time when I did the above with great success.

 

I notice you mostly pull exercises. I would recommend you to put some push excersises in there  to balance your training.

 

Alessandro Mainente

you can consider to work on the mobility every day of your life. "10 minutes a day are better the 50 minutes on one day".

for the rest. follow what is quoted by mats.

work over different pattern movements and not over single skills integrating push day, pull day, core day and legs day. one day of balance can be great if you want to progress over the GB book. bodyweigth training works well with multi frequence but pay good attention to not fall in overtraining.

you don't really need a muscle up day until you have mastered the RC progression explained in foundation series..

TheSecondName

Thanks to yall people.

Speaking about the volume, I follow the 60sec training tips that sommer explained in the book (devide the max hold for a specific skill in seconds in halve till you get 60sec total work time, so for example 9x7 seconds = 63 sec.) and working to the next step if I can hold a max position for 15-20 seconds after testing it after 6 weeks.

 

I just focus on 2-3 movements everytime because I want quallity work.

So practising movements every other day will be OK? Training for muscle ups on the same day as Front and Back Lever tucked?

Day One: FL + BL tucked followed by muscle up work
Day Two: Weight Lifting (lowerbody)
Day Three: same as day one
Day Four: Weight Lifting (upperbody)
Day Five: same as day one
Day Six: OFF or weightlifting
Day Seven: OFF

This way I train 3x per week moderate volume, high frequency.

WeightLifting consits of Front Squats, Stiffed Legged Deadlifts, Presses, Curl Work and Plyometrics.