This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Gymnastic gym in Manhattan (I'm near WTC)?

Started by falconair, May 6, 2013 · 20 Replies · 3,347 Views

falconair

Hi,

I visit this forum once a month or so.  I'm in my mid 30s and pretty out of shape.

 

A few weeks ago I started a new job in New York (near world trade center). I'm curious to know if there is a place close to me where I can go and do the kind of program GB offers. I know there is Chelsea Piers but it is too far away (about half hour by trains).

 

 

Jon Douglas
ewethestuff said:

 I have seen people do GB all over the place in NYC.

That sounds like a blast!

jl5555

Yeah, really any NYSC will also do.  I've worked out several different locations and all had decent space.  The Soho location has pretty high ceilings and lots of space do whatever you please.  Down in the financial district are Crunch, Equinox and NYSC.  There are also a few boxing gyms downtown that might fit the bill: Trinity and Church Street.  

trw

Do any of these gyms besides Chelsea Piers have stall bars?

dmcmanam

Lots of opportunities for training in NYC, feel free to contact me for more details once you are here.  There are several outdoor parks with pull-up bars and more toys, a few blocks from me the park has outdoor parallel bars!  The park you end up training in will depend on the crowd you are looking for and proximity.  Indoor there are a lot of great places to train in Brooklyn and Manhattan - Brooklyn Boulders, The Muse, Body and Pole, Circus Warehouse, Brooklyn Beast, etc.

BTW, WTC to Chelsea Piers is not far at all especially if you have a bicycle - 2.5 miles and 15 minutes according to Google Maps.

LiveWyld

I used to train in Chelsea Piers for a few years while living in Manhattan. Many of the instructors there are excellent. If you're looking for a less structured environment there are tons of meetup-type groups (search online) throughout the city filled with extremely talented athletes. A half hour commute is nothing...I used to run for an hour to get to the gymnastics facility at night after classes when I lived in London. Look at the commute as an opportunity to warm up.

falconair
ewethestuff said:

 I have seen people do GB all over the place in NYC.

If you remember where, please let us know!

falconair
LiveWyld said:

I used to train in Chelsea Piers for a few years while living in Manhattan. Many of the instructors there are excellent. If you're looking for a less structured environment there are tons of meetup-type groups (search online) throughout the city filled with extremely talented athletes. A half hour commute is nothing..

 

My job is near WTC, but I live almost an hour away in Northern NJ :) That means if I take the train to, say, Brooklyn, I won't get home until 9 or 10 pm (or leave home at 5 am) :)

 

I did a quick search on meetup, I only see free-running/parkour meetups. Should I be looking elsewhere?

falconair
dmcmanam said:

Lots of opportunities for training in NYC, feel free to contact me for more details once you are here.  There are several outdoor parks with pull-up bars and more toys, a few blocks from me the park has outdoor parallel bars!  The park you end up training in will depend on the crowd you are looking for and proximity.  Indoor there are a lot of great places to train in Brooklyn and Manhattan - Brooklyn Boulders, The Muse, Body and Pole, Circus Warehouse, Brooklyn Beast, etc.

BTW, WTC to Chelsea Piers is not far at all especially if you have a bicycle - 2.5 miles and 15 minutes according to Google Maps.

Thanks. Emailed you.

Peter Tnt

Hi, did anybody get together to train in the city? I'll be interested. Thanks

Keilani Gutierrez

whenever I go out traveling, i've kept in mind to post here before I do to see if a meet up could be arranged or if i could be pointed in the right direction to some facility or park.

 

if i'm ever in NYC, i'll be sure to post up, Central park must be really nice for handstand sessions and floor related work. 

IcedDante

I'll be moving to NY soon (I just started a thread in Community here: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/16878-new-york-city/ ) and I'll probably be training at Chelsea Piers mostly. However, I really would like to find some alternative places with stall bars and parallel bars.

 

If any of you guys have ideas please let me know.

Nick_Ebner

https://nycelite.com/- SOHO.  I haven't been yet, but I plan on going in a week or two.  I go to brooklyn zoo for tumbling and parkour on weekends when I can. 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Has anyone found a gym in NYC with stall bars? You would think with the ballet, cirque performances and 7+ million people someone, somewhere might have opened a gym with stall bars. But nope...just a lot of Planet Fitness' and Crunch gyms. Bleh.... I live in Downtown BK and am a grad student (thus I have some free time most days of the week). If anybody wants to train let me know. I'm almost at the halfway point of Foundation 1. Anyways.

 

Cheers,

Danny

bigB

I've always wanted to visit the Riverside Park Traveling Rings, Riverside Drive, New York, NY 10025

Chris Garay

Hey Daniel,

 

Give Nick Ebner, Paul Watson, and David McManamon a shout on Facebook. They are all GB'ers in NYC, and I know they (and a few others) meet roughly once a week to train together.

Best,

Chris

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Hey Chris, I actually took a class David offered at Brooklyn Zoo a while back. I also looked into Paul's studio but it seemed rather pricey and limited in its accessibility (I may have also sent them an inquiry email about it and not heard back--I could also have imagined that happening). Thanks for the Intel though, I'll look into it.

Nick_Ebner

Hey Daniel. Except for Paul's gym, no stall bars yet. I'll begin working on opening my space around the Flatiron area next year, but until then I just use smith racks, power racks, fences and whatever else can sub. In my GST classes, we use partners to brace the athletes as stall bars would. 

 

Also, you can use ladders at a few parks such as Tompkins square park. 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Yeah, smith machines are my go-to and have been since I started GB last August. Really aggravates those wanting to get in some quality bicep curls when I'm using it for SL, MN or RC progressions, haha. Keep me in the loop about your gym. I graduate in May but plan to be in NYC at least until then. Looking forward to that as an alternative.

Dwayne Jones

Hey Everyone,

 

Its been about a year and wanted to see if the Gymnastics Bodies training crew/location got established?

Nick Ebner
On 5/23/2016 at 2:19 PM, Dwayne Jones said:

Hey Everyone,

 

Its been about a year and wanted to see if the Gymnastics Bodies training crew/location got established?

I'm still building out of complete body for now. I'm going to look into getting some stall bars built, some proper flooring to roll out and maybe even P-Bar's in the coming month or two.