This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Handstand improvement during H1

Started by Keilani Gutierrez, May 5, 2013 · 76 Replies · 4,286 Views

Keilani Gutierrez

tested out my handstand line today after 7 weeks.

I'm stunned. the first picture was from about 7-8 months ago. the second is from december 2012 and the last one is from today. loving H1! I'm gonna keep updating my progress here for the duration of my training.

currently on HS/PE1 and Hs/Pe>iM is opening up more and every session. post-3648-0-66345700-1367724007_thumb.jppost-3648-0-15851000-1367724041_thumb.jppost-3648-0-68045400-1367724112_thumb.jp

 

edit: edited dates 

Jon Douglas

Nice :) I notice you also have a toe point that you weren't close to in the first picture.

Mark Collins

I just tested my back to wall handstand ( sorry, but that's what I use to do being influenced by crossfit). It felt so easy and I had not practiced this for 8-12 week. I have just started PE2, so I did not expect an improvement yet. I even kicked the legs off and held for 8 seconds. My previous best was 4 seconds. I felt the shoulders were more open, which made it feel comfortable upside down.

I guess Coach knows what he is talking about :)

Jon Douglas
Mark Collins said:

I guess Coach knows what he is talking about :)

The hell you say! :P

 

My handstands feel completely different now, much more like a skill than kick up, apply tension and hope for the best. I am eager to see how it continues to develop, I'm only scratching the surface with it yet...

 

PS; Mark, I just noticed in another thread that you're also from Oz. I'm from Geraldton, a little mining/farming town outside Perth; where are you from?

MrPuppeh

Before H1 i was able to hold a banana handstand for 10-15 sec. 

While doing the H1 ( Almost mastered the PE1 ) i decided to test it - 0 sec Freestanding HS, lol. 

 

But even the banana handstand seemed uncomfortable - Could it be that i have dropped the bad habbit of doing bad form handstands?

Mark Collins
Charm said:

 

PS; Mark, I just noticed in another thread that you're also from Oz. I'm from Geraldton, a little mining/farming town outside Perth; where are you from?

Hi Charm,

I live on the Central Coast, between Sydney and Newcastle

Jon Douglas
Mark Collins said:

Hi Charm,

I live on the Central Coast, between Sydney and Newcastle

Ohhh. City slicker :P

Mark Collins

I did grow up in Cobar, a small mining town in Western NSW. You can't take the country out of me!

Adriano Augusto

Beginning of the year:

 

n5hv10.jpg

 

April 24

 

rmll3c.jpg

 

I think the difference is visible (besides the haircut  :D)

Joshua Naterman

Definitely straighter.

Keilani Gutierrez
Joshua Naterman said:

Definitely straighter.

Hi, my name is Keilani Gutierrez....and I used to be a banana handstand-er. 

Jon Douglas

Reverse Samson~?

Keilani Gutierrez
Adriano Flo said:

Beginning of the year:

 

n5hv10.jpg

 

April 24

 

rmll3c.jpg

 

I think the difference is visible (besides the haircut  :D)

por el amor de Dios! xD 

Keilani Gutierrez

decided to post up some of the recent H1 mobility i've been doing. work and life has been hectic and i've been investing my time in myself and my mobility is one of them :P also good opportunity to participate in the KoTF challenge and consolidate what H1 progress i've experienced so far.

 

here's the most recent Overgrip Dislocate work i've been doing as of late

 

 

some aesop rock for your ears :P

LateStarter@46

Loved the last few seconds of that video!  :)

FredInChina
LateStarter@46 said:

Loved the last few seconds of that video!  :)

LOL - love it!

That should be added to the community video in the making... :D

Keilani Gutierrez

I doubt a 3lb 32in dislocate is anything note worthy, though i can't say it isnt note worthy for the performer :P

from today to a few months from now it'll be better and maybe worth an honorable mention.

Keilani Gutierrez

Handstand line progress. 

 

in the first pic, should have looked more to the future and taken the photo with legs locked. 

looking for those last couple inches of mobility. I can almost taste it.

 

Supine Line-March
post-3648-0-25101100-1382574192_thumb.jp

 

Supine Line-Oct (right after some mobility work)

post-3648-0-39132100-1382574241_thumb.jp

Keilani Gutierrez
KeilaniG said:

I doubt a 3kg 32in dislocate is anything note worthy, though i can't say it isnt note worthy for the performer :P

from today to a few months from now it'll be better and maybe worth an honorable mention.

you know....this stuff stacks up quick.

http://youtu.be/XqyvJ5oIlss

Mark Collins

Was that 21kg?

Alessandro Mainente

Try to roll the shoulders forward, you will generate more strength.

Keilani Gutierrez
Mark Collins said:

Was that 21kg?

21.5lbs :)
Keilani Gutierrez
alex87 said:

Try to roll the shoulders forward, you will generate more strength.

what do you mean by that? you mean shrugging as i rotate my arms?
Keilani Gutierrez
alex87 said:

http://www.sensational-yoga-poses.com/images/shoulder-exercises-pec-minor-2.jpg

 

this is an exagerated roll, a little bit less. from that position is easier engage traps and external rotators.

so as soon as it's behind me, assume that position a little will help bringing the weight over? is that what you're refering to?

 

because my go-to for the form was the iM's on the course, of course.