Gastric acids and digestion

Started by Jukka_M, May 3, 2013 · 6 Replies · 2,271 Views

Jukka_M

While browsing through some older topcis someone asked if drinking water during a meal dilutes stomach acids and therefore hampering digestion. The short respons was that it´s nonsense.

 

What about low stomach acid levels? Is it as important issue that for example Poliquin states? When thinking about it I find a logic and reasoning behind it but are there some gaping holes that I don´t see? Other than that it´s one supplement for Poliquin to sell.

 

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/433/HCLThe_Most_Important_Supplement_Ever.aspx

 

Thouhgts?

Joshua Naterman

Drinking water has no practical effect on acid levels.

 

Peoples stress levels do, though,as do antacids and even the food that you eat ( to some extent).

 

One of the better self-treatment options can actually be to have a tablespoon of vinegar before a problem meal, because then your stomach won't have to produce so much of its own acid. Sounds crazy, but excessive stomach acid production is often a result of insufficient acid being present when one eats, which causes an over-reaction in terms of acid production. Over time, your body can un-learn the over-reaction.

 

People who eat good foods (natural, whole foods) tend to not have these issues anywhere near as often as "regular people" do, which is a telling sign.

Jukka_M

So you´re saying that supplementing with HCL isn´t most likely worthwhile?

George Launchbury

I recall that Robb Wolf is for HCL if you're having issues when adding more good food (meat etc) into your diet.

 

Remember reading something about; how to know if you need it, how to figure out how much you need, and how/when to taper off when you no longer need it (it's just a kickstart really - you need good digestion to produce your own HCL correctly, so a bit of a vicious circle).

 

Don't know if was his blog or book.

Jukka_M

Poliquin has a testing protocol that has you take one HCL capsule rigth before your meal. If you don´t feel anything (heartburn etc.) you take two capsules the second time. You continue doing this all the way to seven capsules. If you still don´t feel anything he recommends continuing the HCL supplementation until you start to feel slight burning sensations after a meal.

George Launchbury

That sounds like much the same advice. I think you back off one per meal every time you feel the burning, until you don't need any. I guess it's because you are starting to produce your own again.

 

Don't quote me on that though, I could be mistaken.

Jukka_M

That´s the case as I´ve understood it.