This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 090122

Started by Coach Sommer, January 22, 2009 · 6 Replies · 1,698 Views

Coach Sommer

WOD%20-%20090122.jpg

Complete the following:

3 x 5 Negative SLS

3 x 5 Natural Leg Curl

Finish with 60 seconds total aggregate work of a straddle L variation.

notes:

1) Perform 5 reps of the SLS first on one leg and then 5 reps on the other; this will constitute one set.

2) Perform the negative SLS (BTGB, pg 159) as slowly as possible, taking up to 10-20 seconds through the full ROM. If necessary, lightly use your arms to slow the tempo of the descent.

3) Just barely use enough assistance from your arms to complete each full ROM rep of the Natural Leg Curls (BTGB, pg 165).

4) Choose a straddle L variation that allows no more than 10 seconds of work to accomplished at one time.

Richard Duelley

I have a quick question about the Natural Leg Curls. I am just finishing up my 8 week Steady State and every exercise I have gone through a Heavy, Medium, and Light loading phase except the leg curls. They still feel like they are in between Medium/Heavy, and I try to use as little assistance as possible. Should I just stick with them for another SS cycle and see how they progress?

And I finally got my forward roll to support on the rings, it was easier than I expected (I think it was a fear thing). :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Ricky

Coach Sommer

Natural leg curls are one of those movements where, as it is self spotting, it is quite difficult if not impossible to approach it with the methodology of a Steady State training cycle. Despite your best intentions, as your strength improves, you will naturally lessen the degree of assistance from your arms; as a consequence your leg curls will always feel as though you are working "medium/heavy" despite your strength improvements.

One way to avoid this issue, is to perform your natural leg curls with assistance provided by bands (jump stretch or pallet bands) anchored overhead. This will assure that your training load stays consistent throughout the entire Steady State training cycle.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

gymrob

I had always wondered about that issue with self spotting exercises like leg curl. Thanks for the info.

I have also wondered in general that when saying 3-5 reps is this 3-5RM in the sense that if you perform 3 reps that should be the maximum you can complete with good form or is that 1-2 reps from failure.

Thanks.

usalvr2

Okay, As always, I'm confused (again, forgive me, my book and DVD's have yet to arrive).

So, the work out constists of:

1. 3 x 5 negative single leg squats. I was told a single leg squat was a pistol. Is that true. If so, how does one do a negative.

2. What is a natural leg curl? Is that was is pictured?

3. Finally, so, how should the work out be set up. Do i do:

a. 5 negatives, then 5 natural leg curls, then 60 seconds of straddle l varatiations? or;

b. Three sets of negative single leg squats, then, three sets of natural, then 1 times of straddle l variation.

4. Last question. What 'is' a straddle L variation?

Thank you all so much!

sinc, --g.

Coach Sommer

The WOD FAQ provides the answers that you are looking for.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jason Stein

3x5 Negative SLS @ 12# vest

3x5 Natural Leg Curl

1x6 straddle L from from the floor @ 10sec. each

---For negative SLS, ranged between 8-12 seconds per descent, though at the end it got a little dicey to go slow through the sticking points! Next time, no vest and hopefully slower descent.

---MEGA CRAMPS on natural leg curls. My calves are cooked.

---For the natural leg curls, we used bumper plates on either side on a mat in order to eliminate falling to the hands.