This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

That moment when you realized you've been doing the exercise all wrong...

Started by Julian Wilson, April 29, 2013 · 22 Replies · 894 Views

Julian Wilson

So. Painfully. Humbling. 

Keilani Gutierrez

I feel ya there, Bro. 

Joshua Naterman

I feel it in my biceps now. :P

chobbs
Julian Wilson said:

So. Painfully. Humbling. 

 

True. But every once it awhile you find you have been making something harder than it needs to be and you are further along than you thought. :)

 

- Chris

Jon Douglas
chobbs said:

True. But every once it awhile you find you have been making something harder than it needs to be and you are further along than you thought. :)

 

- Chris

HS mobility! XD

thanners

On the other hand, when I feel like I've just been spinning my wheels for a while, and then realise I've been doing something wrong, it feels amazing.  This sudden spike of hope that, now that I realise what I've been doing wrong, I'm going to start getting the proper training benefit from the exercise now, and will finally be able to move on.

thecolin

This is one of the reasons I'm going to the seminar. That way Coach can give me a big long list of everything I suck at and I can just get all this disappointment over with all at once.  :P

Patrick Smith
hk237267 said:

I was all the way up to RC PE3 before I realized that my backside was not suppose to be touching the ground for PE1 (hinge row).  So this is WHY everyone else is stuck on PE1 :facepalm:

Are you sure about that? The athlete in the accompanying video is resting his backside on the floor during the entire movement.

chobbs
Patrick Smith said:

Are you sure about that? The athlete in the accompanying video is resting his backside on the floor during the entire movement.

 

Yup, been discussed numerous times - glutes and shoulders off ground. The notes are quite clear, unfortunately in this case the video is not.

 

- Chris

Keilani Gutierrez

:o

#speechless

Patrick Smith
chobbs said:

Yup, been discussed numerous times - glutes and shoulders off ground. The notes are quite clear, unfortunately in this case the video is not.

 

- Chris

 

Ah...

 

Rats...  :(

chobbs
Patrick Smith said:

Ah...

 

Rats...  :(

 

I thought the same thing at first, especially since it is pretty clear in the video. *shrug* I figure it just makes the next PE elements that much easier to master.

 

- Chris

Keilani Gutierrez

does anyone have a video of performing this with proper form? I just went to my rings to give it a whirl and was instantly dumbfounded. 

 

my initial reaction was "what the @$^? is this?"

Jonas H

Then pe1/rc would be harder than pe2/3? Oo

chobbs
Jonas H said:

Then pe1/rc would be harder than pe2/3? Oo

 

IMO yes it is, but for some folks that might not be the case. See here for a previous discussion: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/9994-hinge-row-butt-off-the-floor

 

I am still not buying into that the body proportion determines whether the glutes touch ground at the top of the movement - it is a trivial change to do the motion either way, but makes a large difference in difficulty. Regardless, the cue to start with the glutes off the ground is clear and confirmed, even if not what the video shows. :razz:

 

- Chris

Jonas H

I`ve got no idea how to do this then... Isn`t it more like a hinge pullup?

Joshua Slocum

It's basically a ground-row where you're allowed to pike heavily.

Richard Hamilton

Back to the drawing board...

Doddibot
Jonas H said:

Then pe1/rc would be harder than pe2/3? Oo

I think this is the case with a lot of the exercises, actually, and it depends on your strengths and what exercises you've trained before.

 

sPL/PE1 is harder for me than sPL/PE2 and sPL/PE3, I think because my serratus isn't used to having to work the full ROM instead of just holding the protracted position.

 

SLS/PE1 was harder for me than SLS/PE2 or SLS/PE3 mostly because rolling into a squat was a more explosive and whole-body movement and thus more tiring, my cardiovascular fitness was my weak link.

 

HBP/PE3 is harder than HBP/PE4-5, I think because I've trained dips before so I have the flexion strength in hyperextension, but I don't yet have the serratus strength or coordination required to keep the protraction through the full ROM of HBP/PE3.

 

But that's why F1 is so awesome, because weak links get addressed early so we don't get stuck or injured later on by unbalanced strength.

hukka
hk237267 said:

I was all the way up to RC PE3 before I realized that my backside was not suppose to be touching the ground for PE1 (hinge row).  So this is WHY everyone else is stuck on PE1 :facepalm:

Oh crap... 

 

Oh well luckily only first 4 weeks have passed :)

Keilani Gutierrez

looooool, i just knew this PE couldn't be so preschool. #facepalm

I wish i could see someone do this so i could visualize it. i tried it yesterday and i looked like a party of epileptics, nothin but left feet.

wheezer

I'm glad it only took me two weeks of training to hear butt goes off the ground. Suddenly RC/PE1 went from easiest PE1 to most-difficult.

 

Amazing intensity across the front, back and arms. At the moment it feels like something you'd do as a last step before the rope...