This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hinge Row Form Check

Started by Julian Wilson, April 29, 2013 · 7 Replies · 346 Views

Julian Wilson

 

I've explored this movement for a while now, and I guess this is my best shot. Any tips? 

 

Thanks!

Joshua Naterman

It's not bad! Sometimes your head juts forward at the end a bit much, but not always. I see your shoulders moving in front of your hands, and that will be your main thing to focus on.

 

I do mine with my hips under the rings, which makes it a bit harder. If you carefully watch the demonstration video, you can kind of see that the ring attachment is over the hips, and not over the shoulders or chest, which is why the athlete in the video never has his shoulders pass his hands. Watch how the ring straps are angled at the beginning, and try to keep in mind that these are ~15-20 foot long straps. At the top of the hinge row, the athlete shown has an upright body, yet the ring straps are both vertical AND in front of his shoulders. These are somewhat difficult to see, but are very important for proper execution.

 

Because your straps at home will have a bigger angle at the beginning, you may find yourself slipping forward when you try this. I have two possible solutions for you:

 

1) wear socks, since they will slide on the tiles, and focus on letting your hips slide under your hands. This is a lot harder, and may require more strength than you currently possess, which leads me to suggestion 2:

 

2) wear shoes, and use the friction of the shoes on your mat + your mat on the tiles to keep your hips under the ring attachments.

piotro

As Josh says, watch out your rings/elbow position, do you see how you flare out elbows to the sides, just to pull them behind your back (shoulder external rotation) - that's not good in this exercise.

Keilani Gutierrez

imagine that your body is in a laying down, handstand line with your hands holding onto the ring. I've been doing the Posterior Pelvic Tilt to emphasize the hip hinging movement, when you pull, start from a dead hang, exactly how you're doing, just don't "throw" your head forward. lift with your arms and make your body an even shape, this will help you with form in the later progressions. 

 

edit: I -just- saw how you touch your lower back at the end of the video. do you feel any lumbar discomfort? if so, this can be avoided by initiating the PE from a slight hollow hold and engaging your abs while you pull upwards to protect your spine. 

dynamo

Per the Focus Points under the video in Foundation One you are supposed to "begin with glutes and shoulders just off the ground".  I keep mine off the ground throughout the whole movement which is why I am still stuck on trying to master week 11 for 5x15 with perfect form.

 

The video in Foundation One does not match the Focus Points wording under it and I raised this issue before, but I don't remember getting an official response.

 

If it's OK for the glutes to touch the ground during the movement someone please advise me of this.  Thank you. 

Joshua Naterman

Whether your glutes are on the ground or not will depend on your body and possibly the height of your rings. If they touch, there should be little to no weight on them.

 

With my body I can do these both ways, but obviously it's harder with my glutes just barely not even brushing the ground than it is with a slight amount of pressure on the glutes. My fourth and fifth sets usually end up with 2-4 reps having glutes pressing on the ground a little, so I'm not quite at mastery yet.

dynamo

Joshua, thank you for the response. Staying the course with glutes off the ground.

Julian Wilson

Much appreciated Joshua. You've saved me much confusion!