Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Interval Sprints for Hormonal Response

Graig Alpert

Graig Alpert

Is it worthwhile to integrate interval sprinting into F1/H1 training? If so, how many times per week would you recommend and on which day(s)?

Based on the studies below I am thinking of adding 15 minutes of sprint intervals at 80% of maximal speed in a decreasing fashion (400m, 300m, 200m, 100m) at the end of H1 days preprandial.

Recent studies show sprint interval training leads to a significant increase in lactate and the anabolic factors growth hormone, insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I), IGF binding protein-3 (IGFBP-3), and testosterone levels

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21785293

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19057403

• Upvote 1

I'm no expert but have read a lot of stuff lately that confirms that high intensity sprint type training is highly beneficial not only from a hormonal perspective but also for cardiac health, recovery ability and other factors. I have started incorporating sprint sets on a spinning bike 3 times a week and have found them tough but useful and rewarding. You may want to look into things like Mark Sisson's work on primal fitness, the PACE program by dr Al Sears, the Tabata protocol, etc. The gist of it is that a lot of the books I've been reading encourage strength training, slow paced exercise like regular easy walks and two or three short but intense sprints a week.

• Upvote 1

Graig Alpert

Thanks. Do you incorporate your sprint sets after strength work? Are there any significant differences between doing sprint sets on a bike as opposed to sprinting on a track/treadmill? What specific effects have you noticed personally (in what way have you found them useful/rewarding)?

• Upvote 1

Daniel Burnham

I was doing sprints last summer about two days a week sometimes with a sled. I did these after my strength workout. I don't really have time to do then anymore but I used to feel great afterwards. I've read the hormonal response is better as well but I didn't notice much difference in weight loss or muscle gain from what I am doing now. However I do a lot of work now so that might add to the hormonal response.

• Upvote 2

Actually I'm quite sure if there were a similar GST related study, the conclusions would be very similar.
Have you ever seen a chubby gymnast?

Well, he must be the exception that proves the rule.

The majority of the gymnasts and calisthenics guys I know are all lean.

Joshua Naterman

Sprint-type training is pretty important for overall health, to be sure. So is steady state cardio, just for the record.

I'm not sure how much of a useful hormonal response there is, because everything evens out once you start eating, and it's food that works most of the real magic, but I could be wrong. At any rate, it's good stuff to do and as long as it doesn't interfere with your performance (just means control the volume based on what you find to be right for you) everything should be just fine.

• Upvote 2

Graig Alpert

Thanks gents. I'll experiment with it and find the right balance. Upon doing a forum search on sprints I read a post from a few years back saying that Coach Sommer had his athletes do sprints. Does anyone know if this is fact or myth?

Joshua Naterman

He had, and probably still does, have them do prowler springs. If you think they are hard with heavy weights on concrete, try pushing on that gymnastics carpet... it's a nightmare. SO much friction that you slow down extremely rapidly if you slack off... you just can't rest at all.

• Upvote 2

Have you ever seen a chubby gymnast? "

Yes, all the time in the US women's collegiate programs. Pretty much never in collegiate men's gymnastics. They still tend be damn strong but they do get chubbier. 

There are a few in compulsory levels and even in the optional levels but virtually none who are pre-elite or elites.

Coach Sommer

He had, and probably still does, have them do prowler springs. If you think they are hard with heavy weights on concrete, try pushing on that gymnastics carpet... it's a nightmare. SO much friction that you slow down extremely rapidly if you slack off... you just can't rest at all.

So that explains why the guys have always been so "enthusiastic" about these.   :icon_twisted:

Actually after all of these years, Allan and the other senior athletes now "request" to do the sled sprints on the carpet.  Not because they are masochistic; but because they know they work.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 3

Joshua Naterman

Hahaha, well you HAVE created a house full of monsters :) Those guys are beasts!

It really was a completely different experience than pushing on concrete. A friend of mine has a performance facility with pretty nice turf, but even that isn't as hard as the carpet in my opinion.