Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Standing on one arm

Guest Ido Portal

Ido that was wicked. Awesome!

Out of interest I noticed your feet are slightly turned out and I've seen many do this. Is this to achieve a wide straddle?

I just read the comment that you are visiting Claude! Crickey that is impressive. Could you be so kind as to share your experience when you complete the visit.

Keep on making videos!

Regards.

Guest Ido Portal

Thank you for the compliments.

Gymrob, the feet are turned out in a straddle for many reasons:

1. To make a wider straddle - this is an active position, you use whatever you can use.

2. To engage better the abdomen and create a stronger body line - pulling out from the center of the body into every direction - through the arms, legs, head, etc... This tension makes the one arm balance more stable and easier to control.

3. The 'turn out' that originated in Ballet is used aesthetically in many diciplines. In gymnastics sometimes the position is different, but in equilibre, there is more influence of the classical turn out.

Ido.

Ido,

Nicely done!

I noticed that previously you were focusing on a one arm handstand with the second hand still lightly in contact with the ground. If I remember correctly, you mentioned that this was a basic drill that was the foundation for future one arm handstand work. How long did you spend on that drill and what variation are you going to work on next? Also, do you spend equal amounts of time on each arm?

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

impressive work, ido... makes me feel so puny, just starting out with wall handstands whenever i can fit some in. :)

Guest Ido Portal

Coach,

Yes, the finger supported one arm handstand is where you spend the majority of your time working, until reaching good control of 10-30 seconds with only one finger supporting you, and a hollow-curved finger at that. (no weight, just light friction)

I concentrate on three basic positions - the closed leg - straight handstand, half straddle handstand and full straddle handstand.

I work both arms equaly and they are the same level of development. I believe working on both sides is the better choice from many reasons:

1. Symetrical development of the body. You have two arms, why stand on only one? Dominate both arms.

2. Health - creating imbalances is a certainty if you only practice one side.

3. Artisticly - the options are wider and more accesible. Also, my main goal with the OAH is to achieve better dominance of my floreio work, and in a Capoeira game you never know what is going to be available.

4. Better use of your training time - rest one arm, work the other.

The reason I am working both arms and three positions lengthened the time required to achieve the OAH on simply the stronger side and in the easiest position, but now I harvest what I planted and am able to hold all three positions on both arms and continue to advance in my practice.

Leaving this Friday for private training camp in the village of Saint Die, north france, with Equilibre master extraordiner Claude Victoria.

With me Claude will be training two spanish 'Hand to Hand' circus performers, helping them both with their practice and general handstand work.

I will be posting my experiences in my blog: http://www.idoportal.blogspot.com along with pictures and video clips of my training. Stay tuned.

Ido.

Ido,

Aside from the increased technical proficiency, has your one arm handstand work led to increased strength in other areas of your training and conditioning?

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer