Incorporating compound lifts

Started by aquapura1, April 9, 2013 · 7 Replies · 2,898 Views

aquapura1

Hi Everyone,

I'm enjoying doing GB training however I also want to continue doing the following weighted work: Deadlift, squats, normal and incline bench. Does anyone see any issues incorporating these lifts into my workouts? I will continue also doing ring things like XR PPP along with the bench press?

tonio145

I would do gymnastics work during the week. squat and deadlift once per week on the weekends. you dont need to train bench because doing planche work will improve your bench 

Daniel Burnham
tonio145 said:

I would do gymnastics work during the week. squat and deadlift once per week on the weekends. you dont need to train bench because doing planche work will improve your bench 

I would not do this.  And planche and bench are quite a bit different.  If someone really wants a good bench then they need to bench.  Its true that after a while you will gain an excess of strength from planche that will cause the bench to go up and that learning to incorporate auxiliary muscles will help, but I would never tell a powerlifter to stop doing bench.

Daniel Burnham

You guys need to understand that combining is difficult and you really need to know what you are doing.  Also the program you would follow differs among people with different recovery rates.  There are some who can work 5 days a week and could incorporate some major lifts.  Most of us need to pick a side and just keep the other.  Im not saying it cant be done but asking for someone else's routine isn't the best route.  Personally I opted to do only gymnastic strength.  This as a good choice.  Another friend of mine incorporates some lifts and it is working out well for him.  He might comment on this thread but I feel it might confuse people a lot if he did.

aquapura1

There are two main reasons I want to incorporate these lifts. 1. Physique: I don't feel the current exercises such as PPP XR are giving me a defined chest. I don't doubt that i'm building strength I just don't see the same results in physical appearance as I do with the bench.. The next and perhaps more importantly I'm feeling the jumps in intensity between some of the gymnastics exercises are too great. For example I can do a 3x5 on PPP XR. When I try take this to a PPP XR Plus it seems like a mammoth jump to keep my legs extended for even a fraction of a second. I'm only on an advanced frog stand progression so this makes sense. How does one bridge the gap though?? It really does seem like strength gains are much quicker with weights... Although perhaps this is because i come from a weights background...

Having said all that I understand where you're coming from Daniel and you're right it's the rule of specificity... I'm not after a silver bullet but can someone tell me how long it takes to get the body of an elite gymnast? Is hope lost without having started at an early age? (I'm training 4 days a week)...

Daniel Burnham

Yea coach gas addressed these "gaps" in foundation 1. It took me almost 2 years to look like a gymnast. If you want to look like and elite gymnast it won't happen in a few years. A lot is dependent on genetics and nutrition but getting there is a load of work. Weights won't help more than just doing the GST really. I don't look elite and probably won't ever look like some of the bigger guys.

Joshua Naterman
Daniel Burnham said:

Yea coach gas addressed these "gaps" in foundation 1. It took me almost 2 years to look like a gymnast. If you want to look like and elite gymnast it won't happen in a few years. A lot is dependent on genetics and nutrition but getting there is a load of work. Weights won't help more than just doing the GST really. I don't look elite and probably won't ever look like some of the bigger guys.

Whatever man! You're not that far off from the guy on the cover of BTGB. You have changed immensely over the past 12 months, for sure.

 

It's true though, that you probably won't be walking around like Van Gelder... but who knows what the next 3-5 years may bring? :lol:

Alex Chubb

I definitely see an issue with keeping the bench in. The time could go to more useful things. And hypertrophy can occur with gymnastic movements too. It's about providing the right stimulus. It doesn't require a bar.

The deadlift and squat are pretty irreplaceable, I believe. I like to do these since I had already gotten far into single leg squats but needed more of a stimulus for my legs. I also think if you remove the spring floor, gymnast will become some of the strongest people out there through the entire body. In time of course. One can only dream.