I want the muscle up

Started by Bipocni, April 8, 2013 · 27 Replies · 11,320 Views

The Wykydtron
alex87 said:

the only thing you need are the foundation courses. Coach said that no muscle up work will be necessary until the RC foundation is mastered , the risk are

-do bad/not correct skills/progression;

-got an injury;

-got and injury doing bad skills/progression.

 

 

F1-F4? For some reason I thought I remembered a mod saying that the muscle up was in the RC progressions

B1214N
Bipocni said:

I'm not going to have access to parallel bars for a few weeks, but I figured I could train the movement on the floor until then.  Just to clarify:

 

I start with a 90 degree angle at my elbow, with my shoulders stacked directly over them.  Then I move my shoulders forwards until they are over my hands, staying level, until I'm in the down position of a basic pushup.  Then I do a pushup.  Reverse.  Right? 

 

Only thing I'm worried about is rocking back and forth with my feet on the ground.  Would I be losing too much of the benefits if I just raised and lowered my elbows without moving back and forth?

Those are called tiger push-ups and they are supposed to rock back and forth due to the nature of this exercise. They work some of the transition strength of a MU and helps to build strength for Russian dips. You can also use tiger bend HeSPUs as a step above Russian dips.

 

If triceps tendon are a limiting factor for you in MUs then you can also work up to being able to due sphinx push-ups with full elbow flexion at the bottom as they mimic the stress of a MU on the triceps tendon and elbows. They're like tiger push-ups, but instead of rocking back and forth, you push directly to the top when your forearms are on the floor.

B1214N
Blairbob said:

Resting your wrist on the rings in the false grip makes the muscle-up much easier. It shortens the ROM and gives you a lever advantage to push off of. So doing a muscle-up without a false grip is much harder. You'll need a quick pullup to get into the transition which is why some may kip a muscle-up that isn't done with a false grip. Some people are able to pullup fast enough to shift their wrists on top of rings or a bar and then push out of the dip.

 

No false grip MUs can also be done with a slow pull-up or pause before the transition. It's just that you would need a lot more strength to do it.