This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

form check for 3 iM's

Started by HamdiC, April 8, 2013 · 5 Replies · 232 Views

HamdiC

Esteemed handstanders,

 

Currently on week 12 of HS/PE3, and before I move on to PE4 next week, I want to make sure I'm doing the iM's correctly of pe's 1-3. Below is a video of one set each of PE1>iM, PE2>iM, PE3>iM. I'm using 2kg for PE2>iM, and 5kg for PE1 and PE3.

 

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

 

Cannister

To me it looks like your hands are too wide on HS/PE1>iM & HS/PE3>iM.  With your hands at this width you are alllmost (but not quite) able to do a full dislocate.  From what I understand your hands should be much closer to shoulder width.

 

From this thread: 

 

Coach Sommer said:

- At shoulder width to only slightly wider there is very little dislocation that is going to occur, regardless of how hard you try.  Nor is rotation something you should pursue with this particular exercise.

 

- Focus on maximizing the shoulder flexion.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

So you want to be aiming to have your hands at "shoulder width to only slightly wider." for these two elements.

HamdiC

Ahh, I see, thanks Cannister! I'll try that when I work out again on Wednesday and post another video. As I'm really new to learning the specific terms with regard to anatomy, when coach says to focus on "shoulder flexation" that essentially means a position where the shoulder is neutral (with regards to rotation, neither internally nor externally rotated) and the elbows stright, and we're just trying to get the arms past 180 degrees over our head?

Cannister

This is a picture of what shoulder flexion vs shoulder extension is:

 

e265iM1.jpg

 

But yes, you are right.  Some small amount of shoulder rotation will occur naturally but once your hands are closer together not much rotation (which will cause your elbows to rotate outwards) will be possible.

HamdiC

Once again, thanks Cannister, that helps.

 

Looking at the official videos for theiM of PE1 and PE3, it does seem like the athletes' shoulders do rotate, ie. the armpits open outwards, and the scapulas seem to retract, pinch together, so I know it's not a stright overhead movment. But basically I need to bring my arms closer. I'll play around with this and see what I come up with.

HamdiC

Okay, another take. Reading all of the other threads about this iM has had me try to incorporate those notes (Joshua's description of rotation and trap recruitment, Coach's note of not arching back/ribs too much, narrowing the grip, etc...).

 

So, any better? (I think I've become pre-occupied perhaps too much with keeping the back flat, so much that I think it's starting to round, I've just become so conscious of late about my ribs and how they are always so very, well, flare-y, all the time, even in my normal daily posture).