This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

H1 Wrist Exercises

Started by wheezer, April 8, 2013 · 15 Replies · 537 Views

wheezer

Hi all,

 

I have some questions about  the H1 wrist exercises:

 

1) What happens in between sets? I understand PE/SE sets are broken up by iM, but for wrist exercises do you just rest for however long necessary (30-120 seconds)?

 

2) Do you progress all wrist exercises as a group, or can you progress different wrist exercises at different times? For example, could you do a cycle with WP/PE2 and FKP/PE1? Or - would you hang back on WP/PE1 until your FKP is ready for FKP/PE2?
 

Thanks in advance.

thanners

Hi, wheezer

 

1) I don't actually take a lot of rest between the wrist exercises, probably less than 10 seconds.  It's probably not a problem if you do. However, remember that the wrist exercises shouldn't feel too intense. To quote from H1: "Your wrist work should take place at a relatively light, comfortable intensity. If you are struggling, you are working too hard, ..."

 

2) I believe you can progress each wrist exercise individually, but maybe someone else can chime in with an official answer.

FredInChina
thanners said:

(...) "Your wrist work should take place at a relatively light, comfortable intensity. If you are struggling, you are working too hard, ..."

 

Good reminder :)

ausswe

i do all the wrist stuff as a giant set so each exercise back to back and once all 4 are done i shake my arms and start over.  its been working better than i could have imagined and im happy staying at e1 for the next 3 months before moving on.

wheezer

Thanks everyone.

 

Just did my first H1 WOD since OP and this now makes more sense. I felt the forearm tendons work in ways I've never felt before - and not in a way that requires lots of recovery between sets. I'm now looking at the wrist exercises differently. Starting to get it is about introducing the wrists to working in new ways (shaping), it's not about struggling and brute force.

Keilani Gutierrez

the first days(when it was 3x1 and 5x1) I just plowed right through them, but now that im at a place where theres more volume(3x2) I did them as giant sets and they felt great. 

 

I was going out to a business meeting today and i've been doing H1 since a week after it came out. 

 

I had to move over a button on my wrists on my dress shirt! there is growth occuring! woo hoo!

wheezer

That's awesome Keilani! Do you think the growth itself is on the wrist joint or more on the forearm?

Keilani Gutierrez

forearm in my case, I dont have big forearms (my dress shirt is 14-1/2 in the neck and my wingspan is 32-33. so im not huge by any means or anything but there does appear to be significant growth there.

what i need to get a better grip on is doing the fingertip pushups.

Jon Douglas
KeilaniG said:

forearm in my case, I dont have big forearms (my dress shirt is 14-1/2 in the neck and my wingspan is 32-33. so im not huge by any means or anything but there does appear to be significant growth there.

what i need to get a better grip on is doing the fingertip pushups.

Yes, they're trickier than I expected; not the way I'm used to doing them, but good fun.

Keilani Gutierrez
Charm said:

Yes, they're trickier than I expected; not the way I'm used to doing them, but good fun.

I sometimes wonder why we do these but I guess doing fingertip pushups in a dynamic manner instead of as a static hold, would make the fingers strong too. it just feels a little awkward doing it with 3 fingers and a kinked middle finger. maybe im just doing them super wrong
Jon Douglas
KeilaniG said:

I sometimes wonder why we do these but I guess doing fingertip pushups in a dynamic manner instead of as a static hold, would make the fingers strong too. it just feels a little awkward doing it with 3 fingers and a kinked middle finger. maybe im just doing them super wrong

It'll get more natural with some time. This is obviously more wrist work than focused on finger, using a longer lever. I actually quite like these now.

Keilani Gutierrez
Charm said:

It'll get more natural with some time. This is obviously more wrist work than focused on finger, using a longer lever. I actually quite like these now.

I wonder if adding in static finger pushups using the 5/5mastery template following the same scheme of progressions for the wrist exercises would be too much...actually now that i mention it, later on, i wonder if Coach would recommend us to do the wrist PE's at sets of  10. that's got to be gnarly. 

Jon Douglas
KeilaniG said:

I wonder if adding in static finger pushups using the 5/5mastery template following the same scheme of progressions for the wrist exercises would be too much...actually now that i mention it, later on, i wonder if Coach would recommend us to do the wrist PE's at sets of  10. that's got to be gnarly. 

I think the next logical step with most of them is straight arms. In the original blog post there was mention of doing wrist pushups in a spotted handstand-- that would be something interesting to see. Never tried it myself... hmm, now that I think about it, I'm very comfortable with straight arm wrist pushups, wonder if I could.... ^_^

 

NB also I don't find much if any overlap between static fingertip holds and H1 style FTP's. I can stay in a fingertip wall handstand for quite a while, but am needing to take my sweet time working up to 5x5 full FTP's with good form, not there yet.

Keilani Gutierrez
Charm said:

I think the next logical step with most of them is straight arms. In the original blog post there was mention of doing wrist pushups in a spotted handstand-- that would be something interesting to see. Never tried it myself... hmm, now that I think about it, I'm very comfortable with straight arm wrist pushups, wonder if I could.... ^_^

 

NB also I don't find much if any overlap between static fingertip holds and H1 style FTP's. I can stay in a fingertip wall handstand for quite a while, but am needing to take my sweet time working up to 5x5 full FTP's with good form, not there yet.

how could one possibly go about building volume to work GST elements on fingers? If I could incorporate finger supports to FSP work, i wouldn't have to aggregate it to H1 wrist prep.

 

also the HS fingertip support must be crazy. 

 

how are your finger jabs? 

Jon Douglas
KeilaniG said:

how are your finger jabs? 

I, K, am a gentleman and do not kiss and tell.

 

Fingertip HS isn't so bad, it's just not something to try hastily. I went from static holds to support holds on benches long before I found gbodies, and do fingertip lsits a couple times a week now. The balance is weird in HS, so I only do it against the wall.

 

The nice thing about fingertip work is that it's generally self-correcting; long as you aren't doing anything too stupid, they'll buckle long before anything breaks or tears. To put it another way, if you aren't ready to train it, you won't be able to :)

 

I have a wushu friend who can straddle press to handstand on 2 fingers (each hand), and I've seen videos of presses with one finger each hand :o how long it takes to get to that extreme I really couldn't say, but I'd err on the side of not rushing anything, you still need to tie your shoes when you reach 80.