This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Wrist exercise programming

Started by Joshua Slocum, March 1, 2013 · 17 Replies · 926 Views

Joshua Slocum

I can't seem to find this in the course anywhere: how should the sets for wrist exercises be organized? Should they be done in giant sets? Or should all sets of a given exercise be completed before moving on to the next? What sort of rest should be taken in between sets, given that there is no corresponding IM exercise?

Coach Sommer

As the programming for the wrist work is soft rather than regimented, the structuring of the wrist exercises is up to you.  With my own athletes we have done both giant sets and also one exercise at a time.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joshua Slocum

 

 

Coach Sommer said:

As the programming for the wrist work is soft rather than regimented, the structuring of the wrist exercises is up to you.  With my own athletes we have done both giant sets and also one exercise at a time.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

Ok, I'll just play around with different methods. Thanks!

Vannux

There are 5 different types of wrist exercises whit 8-9 progressions each and the handstand progressions are 26. When the wrist exercises are all mastered, should we continue to do the hardest variation of these for 5x5r each workout or add more reps to these?? I know this might be far of for many including me but I'm just curious on what to do then.  :) 

BTW I love H1^^ looks really nice!

Joshua Slocum
Vannux said:

There are 5 different types of wrist exercises whit 8-9 progressions each and the handstand progressions are 26. When the wrist exercises are all mastered, should we continue to do the hardest variation of these for 5x5r each workout or add more reps to these?? I know this might be far of for many including me but I'm just curious on what to do then.  :) 

BTW I love H1^^ looks really nice!

You can continue using them as part of your warmup, or devise harder variations for yourself. 

Coach Sommer

- Remember the section on "Wrists" cautioned you to use a moderate intensity when training your wrists.  It needs to be vigorous enough to improve, but not so vigorous that it interferes with your handstand training.

 

- Also it will probably be quite some time until you work up to the wrist SE4 variations.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Keilani Gutierrez

Coach, im currently doing dorsal pushups in my warm up, should I discontinue doing them?

Coach Sommer

Not at all.  If you are comfortable with them, please continue.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Keilani Gutierrez

excellent, so that they follow the methodology of deload, would you advise me to follow a mastery template with dorsal pushups?

Coach Sommer

- You may.

 

- The most important aspects of the wrist work is that you are consistent and work with a moderate to medium intensity.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

George Launchbury

Just wanted to check what constitutes a set of the wrist exercises. The video shows:

 

R down

L down

R up

L up

...

L down

R down

L up

R up

 

I presume that would be counted as two sets, and they are simply reversed to balance things out overall?

 

Thanks,

George.

Keilani Gutierrez
George said:

Just wanted to check what constitutes a set of the wrist exercises. The video shows:

 

R down

L down

R up

L up

...

L down

R down

L up

R up

 

I presume that would be counted as two sets, and they are simply reversed to balance things out overall?

 

Thanks,

George.

that would be correct, sir :D each time one goes down, the other follows. once they both rise, it is considered a single repetition. #highfive maaaaaaaaaan im psyched to start this on monday

Nic Branson

Complete movement on each side = 1 basically you got it.

That said do not go too crazy chasing a number when you start. How they feel is more important than the reps.

George Launchbury

Cool, thanks for the confirmation!

Sven Ravnstag

Does the wrist work follow its own cycle, apart from the HS?  I understand that HS progression depends on the PE as well as the iM, but I'm assuming the wrist stuff is separate?

 

If that is correct, is it best to train remain consistent with the level of wrist work you're working?  For example, remain at level one of each until level 1 mastery is reached for all, or progress as necessary with each individual exercise?  If the latter is the case, I can see the variety of combinations escalating quickly (and departing from the cycle templates); in this instance, for de-loading purposes, would one just use the template as a guide for each individual exercise (since the wrist levels would likely be scattered all over the 12 week cycle template)?

Nic Branson

If you look under the cycle plans you will see the wrist listed.

Sven Ravnstag
Nic Branson said:

If you look under the cycle plans you will see the wrist listed.

Thanks for stating the obvious for me; apparently I needed it.  I was aware that they were in there, but upon looking again it became clear to me that each move can be its own cycle.  Thanks for the guidance.  

Nic Branson

No worries. It is a lot of information to digest all at once.