Hello Gymnastic Bodies community!
I'm going to apologize in advance for my very long post.
I'm currently looking to combine my current Powerlifting routine with some Gymnastics training!
Without overtraining or injuring myself.
Here's some background info on me:
Gymnast when I was 8 to 10 years old.
Did Gymnastics in High School for 3 years. Did Pommel Horse, Still Rings and P-bars. Trained 6 days a week 3 hours a day. However I only weighed 105lbs and was not very strong at all by any means. I think I had a bench press max of 90 lbs.
Been Weighlifting/Powerlifting for about 4 years now.
I'm 5'10-5'11 about 150lbs, +- 3lbs.
Age 21, will be 22 in August.
Here's an example of my current strength/volume/workout:
Bench Press - 185x5
Full Squat - 205x5 (well past 90, my butt almost touches the ground.)
DL - 295x5 (front grip no wraps)
OHP - 115x5 (resting at collar bone full RoM.)
Pendlay Row - 170x5
Wide Grip Pull ups + 75lbs on belt for x 5 reps. (25+ body weight, wide grip.)
Weighted Dips + 80lbs 3 sets of 8 reps. (over 40 body weight dips in one set.)
L - Sit: 20-30 seconds
I can do a Front Lever Raise
And Muscle Ups with Kip
Russian Dips/Korean Dips/Swinging Dips
Can do two floor circles (lackluster form.)
Can do frontlever raises.
Did a straight arm straddle straight leg press to handstand
Tuck Planche for 10 seconds.
73 military push ups in 1 minute.
Wall Handstand - 1-2 mins+? Wall Handstand Pushups - over 10 after a lifting shoulders prior.
(Cannot hold a free standing handstand, working on that :\)
I currently workout 3 days a week with Bill Starr's 5x5 intermediate on M/W/F for about 1.5 hours.
(Will switch to T/Th/Sat when I begin training in Judo again, which is 2 hours a day, M/W/F, not very muscle intensive mostly cardio.)
which consists of:
Full Squat, BP, Pendlay Row on Monday & Friday (on Friday I do 3 sets of weighted dips, barbell curls, and skullcrushers, recently added 3x10 Russian Dips at the end.)
On Wednesdays I do light squats, Weighted Pull Ups, Overhead Press, Deadlift in sets of 4. (Also added Incline Barbell Press for 2x8 lowering the bar to neck/clavicle)
I added Front Lever progressions and L-sits on Monday, Planche Progressions and V-sits on Wednesday, and Handstand progressions with L-Sits again.
I'm starting to have elbow pain and tendonitis which reminds me of the pain I got when I was training as a Gymnast doing circles for hours on end. I'm starting to think it was from all the straight arm work and dynamic movement involving me throwing my elbows forward (muscle up.)
I bought a pair of gymnastics rings, plan on building some parallettes, there is a park nearby my house with a pull up bar (I also own a door one.) and parallel bars.
I'm sorry this is a long post and it sounds like I'm tooting my own horn, but I would really appreciate some input from anyone who has successfully combined Powerlifting with Gymnastics training without over training. Now that I might be starting Judo up again as well I would like to structure training so that I do not injure or hurt myself in the long term. I use to do a bodybuilding split, but I prefer to train like an athlete/powerlifter and perform mostly compound lifts. I have no idea what kind of volume I should have without over training or what exercises I should perform. I also need exercises to help me improve my mobility so I can perform these exercises efficiently.
My goals:
Be able to advanced bodyweight exercises. (Planche, FL, Iron Cross, Handstands, Press Handstands etc.)
Gain strength without too much size and loss of mobility. (lb for lb strength, athletic performance (Judo.)
While still being able to increase my lifts or at least maintain them.
MOST IMPORTANTLY, Achieving these goals without injuring myself, I'm patient and don't care how long it takes me to achieve.
If I have to completely structure a new workout I am all for it, one thing I noticed is that there is not very much lower body work. When it comes to bodyweight exercises (that I know of.) I've done pistol squats (those are really hard and hurt my knees because they bend over my feet.)
Any input would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Stephen.