What can you train the day after planch training?

Started by Sinom, April 7, 2013 · 6 Replies · 3,152 Views

Sinom

Hi guys,

 

I have a question regarding restitution after planch training.

 

I know that the full planch pretty much hit your whole body, but when I first started training for the planch my shoulders was by far the weakest link, and I did not feel that it taxed anything else before my shoulders gave out. But things have started to change since I got comfortable in adv tuck, and now I’m not so sure if I can train anything on my upper body the day after planch training…

 

I use chins/pull-ups/FL-work for my biceps-lats training, and in a normal week I will do my pull-ups the day after I do my planch work. Is this a bad idea? Does planch training hit the biceps/lats so hard that you should not train pull-ups the day after?

 

Any ideas?

 

I normally train legs on the same days as the planch, so this is not a good option for me either...

 

-Sinom-

B1214N

You should work on pulling or back exercises like FL and pull-ups the next day or as the next workout to balance out from all the upper body pushing from planche training. It's not a bad idea at all. Working the manna would also be a great idea. Planche does not hit the biceps or lats all that hard.

 

There's also nothing wrong with training legs the same day as planche unless your CNS doesn't recover fast.

Sinom

Great! Thanks!

dmcmanam

Should or could train upper body the next day?  After a hard planche workout, despite some soreness, with a good warm-up you should be able to repeat the entire planche routine the next day if necessary.  If I was so fatigued I didn't think I could, I would focus on recovery the next day meaning light mobility and strength work for all the muscles that are over trained.

 

Personally, I focus planche work on "pressing" days which include a lot of hand balancing and push-ups, the following day the workout might focus more on "pulling" exercises although much lighter planche work would still be recommended.  This is a lot different from breaking down workouts like a body builder into lats/biceps/triceps etc.  Planche, rope climbing and every exercise I do I try to engage my entire body.

Sinom

I guess that it varies from person to person and for how long you have trained, but for me two days in a row is not possible at the moment. However it is good to know that my current setup is not completely off. Thanks for the reply!

 

-Sinom-

wheezer

I believe the best way to know for sure is to split test it:

 

Do a week with the other training session between planche sessions, then do a week without the other training session. For more data,  do yet another week with the other training session. If your planche capacity improves in the weeks without the other training session, it's a sign you might be overtraining the involved muscles.

Sinom

Thanks for the tip, but I dont have week to week progress on the planche that is messurable in any way. But what is really needed to know was if the planche hit the biceps or lats hard, and it seems it doesnt, so I'm good! Thanks anyways!