Questions on progress

Started by aquapura1, April 6, 2013 · 9 Replies · 1,742 Views

aquapura1

Hi Everyone,

 

I have some questions about progress and some exercises. I've just finished a stead state cycle for my current FSPs . And my front lever has progressed more than my back lever. My back lever needs to be on the Back Lever - Flat Tuck exercise progression. Where as my front level is up to the Front lever straddle...

 

Will this cause some kind of imbalances? Should i slow down the progress of my front lever? Or keep going? Not sure what's best practice here...

 

Some other questions:

 

- Is it ok if my arms aren't completely straight on the advanced frog (2nd progression) or planche FSPs from book. They have a very slight kink I just started this today is that ok to continue?? I progressed from a front stand of about 40s max hold...

 

- On the FSP L sit progression i videoed myself performing the L-PB low exercise and I notice that my upper back is curved over. The picture in the book the guys back is much straighter. What should I do I've tried straightening it out however i still have the curve??

 

Thanks any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!

 

Cheers,

 

 

Daniel Burnham

FL is usually harder.  Post a video to see if you are piking.  Also post a video of BL to make sure there isn't some hidden problem.

 

The point of the adv. frog is to straighten the arms.  Any kink is unacceptable. I recommend getting F1 as it will definitely help you prepare for straight arms.

 

In the beginning a slight curl is acceptable, but you should aim to straighten it out as soon as possible.

aquapura1

Sorry here are the videos (the uploader of the forum didn't work for me..)

 

http://www.dropshots.com/aquapura1

 

In order of the videos

 

1. Frog stand (second progression)

2. L-sit PB Low

3. Front lever flat tuck

4. Front level straddle ( i know it's rather bent)

5. Back Lever flat tuck

 

Thanks!

B1214N

I wouldn't call that a straddle FL because it was too piked and hips were low. It looks closer to a straddle piked FL than actual straddle FL. For your BL you should make your palms face down unless your elbows are not ready for it. Your PB low "L-sit" is actually a low straddle L. Your arms should never be bent in any of the gymnastics levers including the advanced frogstand.

aquapura1

Hey B1214N, thanks for you comments. Yes you're right sorry I meant to say Straddle L- PB low for number 2. Thanks for the correction..

Do you think my upper back is too curved on that one? Not sure what you mean by palms down on the Back lever I think they resemble the same palm position as that in the videos... Am i doing something wrong?

 

Also is it ok to keep the FL Straddle piked while i build strength so I can take it lower. Be aware i just moved onto this progression. But the main question that i first asked what what happens if my FL is progressing faster than my back lever? and is this ok?

 

Thanks!!

Joshua Slocum
aquapura1 said:

Also is it ok to keep the FL Straddle piked while i build strength so I can take it lower. Be aware i just moved onto this progression. But the main question that i first asked what what happens if my FL is progressing faster than my back lever? and is this ok?

 

Thanks!!

Short answer, no: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/10836-help-with-workout/?p=105942

 

Keep doing the bulk of your FL work in advanced tuck. Only switch over to straddle when you can do straddle properly. 

aquapura1

Ok thanks! Any other feedback on my form? Also Hari will staying the advanced tuck progression for longer eventually build enough strength to transition into the straddle? I think my max for the  FL Advanced tuck is around 35 seconds... 

Joshua Naterman

For me, building to 60s was good, and definitely carried over. 

 

I did need to use the one foot out strategy when learning the straddle, because I just couldn't get the feel for opening my hips all the way with both legs at the same time. 

 

The way I thought about this was "stand on the wall" and not "straighten my legs and hips". This let me get the feeling of fully opening up one leg at a time, and after a few weeks I was able to extend into a good straddle right away.

aquapura1

sweet never thought about doing one leg at a time! OK i'm going to work myself up to the 60 sec mark then see how I go :D

 

Thanks

B1214N

You can also try straddle half lay or a more extended adv tuck position to help you build more strength for the straddle in the interim.

 

By palms down in the BL I mean supinated grip (underhand grip) where the palms are facing down instead of up or facing each other when in the BL. This one works the biceps harder which helps to condition the inner elbows for more advanced GST elements. It doesn't matter much if you don't plan to advance farther into GST so you could do it the way you like.

 

You could stay piked in the straddle to build up enough strength for a proper one, but that's not the best way to work to it. As for your main question, I don't think it really matters if your FL is progressing faster than your BL. It could mean that your rear delts are getting stronger than your front delts, but the BL is not a good antagonist exercise for the FL anyway because I think the lats are still a prime mover in both.