Side-Flip need help (URGENT)

Started by Yaad Mohammad, April 4, 2013 · 21 Replies · 5,287 Views

Yaad Mohammad

Okay, so this Tuesday I got a musical dance. We decided that I'd do a side-flip over someone who is ducking, however I never did a side-flip before. So I tried them a few times today and I landed them on the big mat. However, when I tried it on the ground I lost all of my height. I don't know why, can someone please help me? This is really urgent as you can see. Here is the video of the sideflips:

 

Cannister

Are you landing on a mat for the side flip from the ground? - it's hard to tell in the video.  If you jump from the ground onto the mat you lose the height of the mat.  The ground is lower than the mat so you need to make up that distance...

Yaad Mohammad
Cannister said:

Are you landing on a mat for the side flip from the ground? - it's hard to tell in the video.  If you jump from the ground onto the mat you lose the height of the mat.  The ground is lower than the mat so you need to make up that distance...

Nope, it just put those there to feel safe. There was only a very very thin mat there.

Joshua Slocum

You don't rebound much on the hard floor. I don't side-punch though, so I'm not sure what the best way to fix that is.

Yaad Mohammad
Hari_Seldon said:

You don't rebound much on the hard floor. I don't side-punch though, so I'm not sure what the best way to fix that is.

You'd think that it's easier on hard floor, but it's not apparently...

gravy

yes, especially for that second flip you did in the video. also you might be tucking a big early

Yaad Mohammad
gravy said:

yes, especially for that second flip you did in the video. also you might be tucking a big early

Alright, thanks! Any tips on how to improve those two factors in less than 5 days haha?

phrak
Hari_Seldon said:

You don't rebound much on the hard floor. I don't side-punch though, so I'm not sure what the best way to fix that is.

This. Compare the jumps. They're worlds apart.

Yaad Mohammad
phrak said:

This. Compare the jumps. They're worlds apart.

That's the problem, I couldn't rebound. I do notice that I took a much bigger jump to jump on the mat in the first one. I took a very small jump on the second one. Does that really have such a big effect?

phrak

It looks like you're landing solidly on your heels in both jumps. I don't think this will allow you to rebound correctly unless the floor has some give to it.

Oldrich Polreich

Do you have to use rebound? Sideflip using split foot (hurdle) technique is much easier in my opinion. Try placing one leg in front of the other, body facing more forward. Push hard from the front leg and pull your shoulders and chest up. Then tuck hard and untuck to land. 

 

At first try it with the takeoff leg on something higher (that mat for example), it will teach you how to push with front leg. 

Yaad Mohammad
phrak said:

It looks like you're landing solidly on your heels in both jumps. I don't think this will allow you to rebound correctly unless the floor has some give to it.

That's right, I do land on my heels, I totally forgot about that. It's probably because I'm not used to side punching.

 

Oldřich Polreich said:

Do you have to use rebound? Sideflip using split foot (hurdle) technique is much easier in my opinion. Try placing one leg in front of the other, body facing more forward. Push hard from the front leg and pull your shoulders and chest up. Then tuck hard and untuck to land. 

 

At first try it with the takeoff leg on something higher (that mat for example), it will teach you how to push with front leg. 

Do you think this will provide me enough height to jump over someone who ducks? Because I need optimal height. I'll try it though.

Oldrich Polreich

My friend can jump over five or six on even ground, with takeoff leg higher he's regulary doing ten feet sideflip precisions and double sides using this technique. So learning to do it over one person should be ok. Either way be sure to drill whatever technique you want to use. Clearing something or someone is 50% about confidence.

Joshua Slocum

Planting your side leg, as Oldřich recommended, is a perfectly valid technique; it's essentially a vault.

In either case be careful that your leg is in line with the angle of impact: if it is off by too much, you could be putting dangerous lateral forces on your knee.

Yaad Mohammad
Oldřich Polreich said:

My friend can jump over five or six on even ground, with takeoff leg higher he's regulary doing ten feet sideflip precisions and double sides using this technique. So learning to do it over one person should be ok. Either way be sure to drill whatever technique you want to use. Clearing something or someone is 50% about confidence.

 

 

Hari_Seldon said:

Planting your side leg, as Oldřich recommended, is a perfectly valid technique; it's essentially a vault.

In either case be careful that your leg is in line with the angle of impact: if it is off by too much, you could be putting dangerous lateral forces on your knee.

 

Alright, great tips man. Hopefully I will achieve this skill on time. It's very risky, but I'm pretty confident that I can achieve it.

Joshua Slocum
Yaad Mohammad said:

Alright, great tips man. Hopefully I will achieve this skill on time. It's very risky, but I'm pretty confident that I can achieve it.

I do all my side-tumbling out of a roundoff. Another thing you might consider is to do the flip out of a roundoff + 1/4 turn. 

Robby S

This tutorial helped drastically improve my sideflips. When I was learning, I watched the whole video, and then replayed the few sideflips he demonstrates starting at 1:30 about a thousand times! :)

 

 

Hope this helps!

yuri marmerstein

you're probably not going to want to punch sideways on hard floor

 

try this instead

 

MvdB

Kjer = Dutch awesomeness :) sort of sloppy but very unique style of tricking. Always liked him.

Yaad Mohammad

Wow those two tutorials were very informative. I got 3 hours of training sunday, hopefully I will master this move and get comfortable with it. Thanks a lot guys.