Blocking

Started by Alex Chubb, March 13, 2013 · 4 Replies · 2,677 Views

Alex Chubb

I hope I am using the term correctly, but I am reading about blocking when it comes to tumbling. In this case, someone was telling me about how on each skill (except standing ones) as I run into the skill, I should land with my feet IN FRONT of my body as this will send my momentum up instead of forward. Similar to this video here. Is this correct? For example during a run hurdle front tuck, should I punch like in the video here?

Joshua Slocum

I can not watch the video from my phone to verify, but yes, when you do a running punch, you want your feet in front of your center of mass, because it allows you to translate your forward momentum into upwards momentum.

Alex Chubb

Thank you! Makes sense! Going to have to redo my tumbling. Thanks again!

Flameous

In parkour roll you have the same concept backwards. You want your feet behind you, though only just because you preferably have lots of forward momentum already.

FredInChina

Yes, same concept for high jump. :)