This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS/PE2>iM Twisting Squat

Started by FredInChina, April 3, 2013 · 29 Replies · 1,553 Views

FredInChina
Nugget said:

(...) crossack squat, how far should the heels be off the ground? (...)

 

Heels should be ON the ground, and the force should transmit through them, not through the toes. :)

(Yes, I've seen the video too)

pogo69

I'm on my 2nd week with Twisting Squats and finding similar issues.  I can get up without assistance going one way, but can't budge going the other - yet another imbalance; YAY!!  Currently using a small one-handed push from the floor.  My pirrouette, however, is entirely ungraceful

 

On the flipside - I've found them and/or the Cossack Squats quite therapeutic.  My feet, ankles and knees are constantly copping a flogging from trail running, but they felt better than they had for ages after last night

FredInChina
FredInChina said:

Down 4 inches this week!

Due to renovating my home dojo/gym, I am training outside; I am doing these on the grass in the park and I thought I was flat on the ground, but to be sure, I tried at home and I still need the assistance of 1.5 or 2 inches of butt elevation. The grass is very slightly sloped, and that seems to help a little bit.

 

Getting there, getting there... :)

 

4 inches down proved too much too fast and a slight pain started to develop in the inside of the right knee.

I eased up a bit and went back up 2 more inches for 3 weeks.

Then last week I downed 1 inch, and this week another.

45mm to go :)

 

maybe two micro cycles...

 

 

In the meantime, I've become quite proficient at the cossack squats; last week I was at 5x20, but after seeing the latest video from Kit Laughlin, I decided to fine tune this exercise and work on ankle & hamstring mobility instead of ramping up the volume.

I just had a great session, playing with the angle of the toes and a kettlebell as counterweight to gain more ROM. My right ankle is the one that is most limiting; the arch indeed tends to flatten on that side, pulling the knee to the inside... I wonder if there is a link with my Achilles pathology on that side too...

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=HL1372833752&v=nAeU-4QDl1I#t=281s

Mark Collins

I am in week 10 and am surprised at how much better my twisting and Cossack squat have become. I am close to doing the twisting squat off the ground.

I should only need 16 weeks on this exercise rather than my initial thoughts of 6 months.

pogo69

I could get up going both ways today with the Twisting Squat!!  I'm using some momentum by rocking forward but progress is progress.

 

I've reassessed my plan of attack for the Cossack Squat after watching Kit's video, Fred.  My ROM has subsequently regressed, but my stability is incomparably better.