New to the forum and questions

Started by Don in Ohio, April 2, 2013 · 2 Replies · 5,156 Views

Don in Ohio

Hello All:

 

I am new to the forum and bodyweight/gymnastics conditioning. I am 51 years old, 5'9" and 205 lbs (fat!).

I have started conditioning to lose fat weight, gain some hypertrophy, and get in the best shape I possibly can. Alas, the only L-sit I can do currently is Lounging on a chair. I started just two weeks ago using The Convict Conditioning book by P. Wade. My current routine is a 3xweek whole body:

 

Pike Press; Negative pull ups; Push ups; Inverted rows; Negative Dips or Diamond push ups on knees; Negative Chins; Bdywt Squats and Leg Raises on the floor. I takes me about 60 minutes doing 2 "work" sets of each with 1-2 warmup sets each, not including time for a general warm up and cool down. These are what you call Bent Arm strength moves, correct?

 

My long term goals are for reps: HSPU's; STRICT One arm Push ups; Pulls ups; Dips; Chins; Pistols; L-Sits and for "party" tricks: the straight arm strength moves: the Planche, Front Levers and the Flag. Hey, I am being honest in saying I would like to obtain the strength to show off once in a while, lol. Eventually, I would like to be strong enough to do the upper body exercises listed on the rings. My body aesthetic goals are to get down to 10-12% body fat and very good functional strength along with looking great also. Saying this, I don't want to look "all show" (as in bodybuilding), but also want that "go" functional strength to move my body through space like a gymnast. My current fat reducing diet is 2000 cals daily, broken down into 55% Carbs, 25% Protein and 20% of healthy Fats. I eat 5-6 small meals daily. I've lost 5 lbs of weight in 2 weeks, which no doubt will slow down as I get into better condition. I also do 30 minutes of brisk walking 3xweek that I alternate with the gym sessions.

 

To my main concern:

 

I have a history of muscle strains since my years in high school track up to now: 1) complete Strain III of left rectus femoris in high school track which was never repaired. 2) a Strain II (or III?) of right anterior delt (I felt a pop while doing right side planks at the time.and definitely a small gap between delt and acromial tip; and 3) right Vastus Lateralis ( I felt a clicking while doing repetitive leg press type of movements and noticed a very slight gap down on the lateral aspect of the knee a few days later). Except for the left quad strain,  I have never noticed any bruising or swelling nor experienced pain when these occurred. I also suspect a history of a left upper forearm strain at the  medial aspect very near to the elbow. So, I AM susceptible to tendon injuries. In fact, that is my biggest concern with starting this style of workout. 

 

At my age, and history of tendon injuries, should I continue with whole body workouts 3xweek or reduce the frequency? I am concerned about overtraining and/or poor recovery leading to future tendon injuries. As you guessed correctly, my current flexibility is awful, so I have started a basic flexibility routine! Stating that, even when I was in high school and much more flexible, I do have the history of complete  tendon rupture in the left rectus femoris.

In general, is it possible to reach my goals mentioned aboe performing a "split type" of routine such as a 3xweek Upper/Lower body ABA BAB split? Should I stay with the whole body routine? Any recommendations/suggestions regarding, diet, mobility/flexibility and routines would be truly appreciated by this new (old) guy.

 

I have considered getting Foundation One, but I am not sure if it is appropriate for the goals I have as listed above.

 

Thanks and I am truly enjoying the forum.

 

Don In Ohio

 

 

Cole Dano

Especially  considering  your history of injury, Foundation One is the perfect place to start. The foundation series answers the majority of your goals, with the exception of one arm push up. 

 

One of the prime goals of Coach Sommer's system of courses is to slowly and conscientiously develop joint and tendon strength and mobility along with muscular strength.  

FredInChina

Congrats on your health and fitness goals Don in Ohio; As a member of the old farts sub-community myself, I second what Cole said.

Get F1 & safely reach your goals :)