proper one arm dead hang alignment

Started by gravy, April 2, 2013 · 6 Replies · 5,448 Views

gravy

i like doing dead hangs for rehab, and i want to do one arm hangs with proper form.

i pull my scapula down when doing the hold and contract my obliques. is this correct?

what should my shoulder angle be?

anything else i should keep in mind?

Coach Sommer

Do not pull the scapula down.  Allow the arm to hang freely.  If you are not yet strong enough to do so, then use your feet on the ground to assist until you are.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

gravy

Duly noted. Thanks for the response.

Raidho

Coach, does this apply to regular two arm deadhang aswell? If so, how does one know if one is strong enough? I have shoulder dislocation problems in one of my arm. Should I still do deadhangs letting my scapulae rise and my shoulders be at my ears?

FredInChina

Yes, same same... :)

Don't worry, if you are like me and you use feet assistance to get started, you'll know when you are ready to lift the feet off the ground; just do it prudently and progressively :)

Tomas Johansson

This is interesting.

 

As a rockclimber I have learnt that when doing deadhangs on fingerboard the elbows should be slightly bent and shoulders pulled down. A fingerboard is a training device with different type of holds to train finger strength on. Would you say that this advice also applies to fingerstrength training on a fingerboard or is that a different case?

 

I would love for it to be true because I do these hangs couple of times per week to increase finger strength but it's also quite taxing on the arms and shoulders and I'm afraid it will soon be too much for me in combination with the pulling in F1.

ausswe

I do 1 arm hangs from fingerboard in a complete dead hang and then slowly and controlled pull my self up a little then releasing because often I have found I could grab something that was at my maximum stretch but then couldn't pull up into it. This training has really helped me a lot.