This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 090115

Started by Coach Sommer, January 15, 2009 · 13 Replies · 2,426 Views

Coach Sommer

pwCv1Yjb8MI

Complete four rounds:

20 Front Lever Pulls

10

notes

The chin must rise above the rings at the beginning and end of each Front Lever Pull for the repetition to count.

Perform the Negative Back Pulls as slowly as possible.

If your descent is 5 seconds or more, you may decrease the reps on Negative Back Pulls to 5.

gymrob

Crickey I can't wait to try this. Hopefully I will really target my levers effectively:) .

May I ask, why is it that the reps are quite high? I'm just try to get a feel for the programming :D. I know the back lever can be reduced to 5 reps but I was just wondering why the front lever is 20 reps. Is it simply that sufficient time under tension needs to be achieved?

Thanks.

Brendan Sonnichsen

Played with Pullovers, then Naners, then TOPS pulls on rings, then the bar.

Also did back pull negatives mostly in tuck although I was able to do some straddle with knees bent.

Coach Sommer

Excellent question!

Remember that these GB WODs are exposing you to concepts which will be discussed in depth in the upcoming volumes. In this instance, the WOD is focusing on the development of a beginning level of dynamic strength. These higher reps, when done with the appropriate training load :D (to achieve this, feel free to adjust your body position as necessary), are excellent for promoting joint health, increasing capillary development and are almost medicinal in nature after some of the lower rep maximal strength focused workouts. As a consequence of these training goals, the rhythm for the front lever pulls in this WOD should be fairly rapid rather than slow and controlled with as heavy a training load as possible as if the WOD focus was the development of maximal strength.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

gymrob

Many thanks for the reply! :D

That completely makes sense and firstly I guess that if I would of thought about it logically, since this is dynamic in nature as you said, then the other dynamic focused WOD's are also similar. For example wheel pushups; they were prescribed for a distance and other dynamic exercises were for a length of time as opposed to a set number of reps and so subsequently more reps than the 3-5 with maximal loads are going to be performed.

Thanks.

griffdrc

good to know i had been doing them too slow... i'll have to try them at a faster pace..

Gregor
griffdrc said:
good to know i had been doing them too slow... i'll have to try them at a faster pace..

If you mean front lever pulls, would slower actualy mean progression.

Jason Stein

This one blew.

2x20 Tuck FL Pulls

2x5 Tuck Negative BL

--- I fried my arms off going too slow on the tuck FL.

--- What would have been a better progression? Straddle FL pulls?

--- Piking all over the negative BLs.

Ended with 10x wrist push-ups, side split work.

griffdrc

i always thought the goal was to do the front lever pulls slowly... good question gregor... i dunno... i think it becomes a whole different exercise when you change the pace...

Gregor

I wasn't asking, I was saying :D

Nobodystopsdblob

WOD

Complete four rounds:

20 Front Lever Pulls

20 20 14

10 Negative Back Pulls

10 10 /

halfway through my second set some guys came over and started asking me about my rings. Spent too much time talking so could not finish the workout. The Lever pulls were tough and they seemed waaaay too fast. Many were piked.

Finished off with 3 rounds of 1 min running on 10 and 2 minutes running on 6. Tough.

Coach Sommer

If the focus is maximal strength, then slower the better with reps of 3-5. If the focus is working on dynamic strength, then a rhythmic swinging is better (as long as full ROM is maintained) for much higher reps.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Alexander Kornishev

Coach, sorry if that was already answered before.My question is about scaling WOD. I was able to do only 10 (fully laid-out) of F.lever pulls and 5 (10 sec.) negative B.pulls per set. Did I do it right? Or I should have switched to easier variation of each and still do prescribed number of reps?

Thanks!

Edward Smith

Coach,

On more high rep, dynamic Front Lever Pulls is the idea to pull your head quickly over the bar and actively push yourself away from it?

Ed