This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

A question about HS/PE5

Started by dan meiri, March 28, 2013 · 5 Replies · 280 Views

dan meiri

The title implies using a weighted bar but the athlete in the video is using a broom stick? which one is it?

Daniel Shields

Unless your shoulders are in better shape than mine, it will be appropriate to start the exercise using a very light bar. I fall short of mastery using a PVC pipe. More weight can be added once mastery is achieved. I would like a general figure about what kind of weight should be worked up to as a minimum before progressing to the next exercise.

Jon Douglas
Daniel Shields said:

Unless your shoulders are in better shape than mine, it will be appropriate to start the exercise using a very light bar. I fall short of mastery using a PVC pipe. More weight can be added once mastery is achieved. I would like a general figure about what kind of weight should be worked up to as a minimum before progressing to the next exercise.

Coach has posted elsewhere that 3-5 lb is acceptable for this. I'll edit this with the link to that discussion in a sec.

 

He also noted that a completely unweighted stick is no good as it changes the mechanics of the exercise. Wih an actual bar this is probably taken care of for you

 

EDIT;

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/10421-question-regarding-shoulder-extension-im-work/?p=100480

 

--> Explicitly 3-5lb minimum, with long term intention to work that weight up.

 

Couple posts down

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/10421-question-regarding-shoulder-extension-im-work/?p=100616

 

--> Explicitly not to use unweighted dowel (broomstick etc).

Slightly lower again;

 

"Even starting it is best to begin with at least some weight so that the musculature involved is firing and not simply passive.  This dramatically increases the mobility gains."

 

 

 

Personally I'm using 4kg (10lb) of ankle weights on a broomstick, erring on the side of over-preparing, and I'm mobilising at the speed of 10,000 charging snails. By which I mean consistently and deceptively fast.

Daniel Shields

Much appreciated Charm. I'll have to weigh my section of PVC. It might well be in the 3-5lb range; there is certainly nothing "passive" feeling about using it for HS/PE5. I think erring on the side of over-preparing is definitely the wise way to go.

Jon Douglas

Regarding the 'passivity,' I noticed it the most in the transition from raising to lowering. If it's too light it feels too easy to 'slip' or jerk it over the top, rather than a controlled rotation. Not great.

dan meiri

Thank u all  :D