This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Question regarding Shoulder Extension iM work

Started by phrak, March 1, 2013 · 36 Replies · 1,804 Views

phrak

(Aside: I've always thought these were called "inlocates" around these parts)

 

My shoulder extension with a fixed bar is miserable. Probably pec minor tightness.

 

For mastery of these exercises, is it required to hit shoulder height with an approximately shoulder width grip like the pictures? I honestly think that will take me a very long time and I will be stuck on this mobility step for quite some time.

Jon Douglas

As an addendum to the width requirement, is there a standard weight requirement?

phrak
ewethestuff said:

I would also guess that like F1, mobility deficits are things that need to be addressed before progressing.

 

That seems quite... odd to me. To spend time stuck on a headstand variant because shoulder *flexion* is lacking.

Jon Douglas
ewethestuff said:

Three weights are quoted: 

- HS/PE1>iM says 5 lbs minimum

- HS/PE6>iM says the athlete is using 20lbs

- There's a note on that exercise that says he can do it with 45lbs.

 

 

So I assume that 10-20lbs would be the range a beginner would want to aim for.

 

 

I would also guess that like F1, mobility deficits are things that need to be addressed before progressing.

I saw those, but don't think that inferring 10-20lb from what's there is legit.

 

Same with the second. Shoulder-width is pretty crazy. I can do  one and a half with 5lb, but that's more effort than I'm fully comfortable with as a working level.

Coach Sommer

- Most of you will find that 3-5lbs is a VERY challenging weight to begin with.

 

- The references to the other weights being used were to give you a sense of the 'possibilities' and what you should ultimately be aiming for; not what you should be starting with.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Zach Daniel
Coach Sommer said:

- Most of you will find that 3-5lbs is a VERY challenging weight to begin with.

 

- The references to the other weights being used were to give you a sense of the 'possibilities' and what you should ultimately be aiming for; not what you should be starting with.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

Having stated that, is it more important to work up to approximately those weights (20-40lbs) and master the PE, then move on? Or is it ok to master at a lower weight for the prescribed reps, then continue to work on the movement?

Coach Sommer

- Move on to the next step in the progression when you have achieved a reasonable degree of mobility with 3-5lbs.

 

- These weighted dislocate drills are something that I recommend always stay in your training routine; if not as a primary iM then most certainly as a supplemental.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Cannister

One additional question regarding the shoulder mobility work: For elements in which our ROM is lacking, should we start the exercise with a wider grip (where ROM is better) and work towards a narrower grip over time, or simply start with the more narrow grip (~shoulder width) and work towards eventually achieving the mastery level ~shoulder width ROM?  Or is this perhaps different for each element?

Coach Sommer
Cannister said:

One addition question regarding the shoulder mobility work: For elements in which our ROM is lacking, should we start the exercise with a wider grip (where ROM is better) and work towards a narrower grip over time, or simply start with the more narrow grip (~shoulder width) and work towards eventually achieving the mastery level ~shoulder width ROM?  Or is this perhaps different for each element?

This was briefly addressed in H1.

Start with a wide grip. Without increasing the weight, over time (weeks to months) gradually decrease the width of your grip. Keep this up until you feel you have maximized the narrowness of your grip (slightly wider than shoulder width). At that point increase the weight and begin the process over again with a wide grip

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

FredInChina

I am starting this with the lightest bamboo stick I can find :blink:

Nic Branson

Wooden dowels or broom sticks make great starting points for many people.

Coach Sommer

Do not use only a dowel.  The difference between using a weighted bar, even one of a couple of lbs., and a light dowel is far larger than you can imagine.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Nic Branson
Coach Sommer said:

Do not use only a dowel.  The difference between using a weighted bar, even one of a couple of lbs., and a light dowel is far larger than you can imagine.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Yes, note I said starting. Coach is not understating the difference, it's rather shocking when you first step up.

Coach Sommer

Even starting it is best to begin with at least some weight so that the musculature involved is firing and not simply passive.  This dramatically increases the mobility gains.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Nic Branson

Gotcha :)

FredInChina

Noted Coach, thank you :)

Keilani Gutierrez

I have my Kali stick with a 5lb weight tied to it in the middle xD lovely thing is i can change the weight upto 30 lbs with the small dumbbells i have lying around at home. zing!

Rachid Tahri

I have more or less the same question. I can do Handstand prep 1-6, but the very first mobility drill is quite a challenge for me in the sense that I have to do a wider grip.

 

So according to the course should stick with the tripod even though I can do this easily? 

 

Another question is about HS/PE 5 (Prone Floor Handstand Flexion...). It seems that the boy in the picture doesn't use pelvic tilt, there's also no remark about this in the focus points. I tried the exercise with the pelvic tilt (because it mimics the handstand) and it becomes much harder to lift the arms while the chest stays on the ground. Is the reason that the pelvic tilt is not mentioned because the term is not introduced yet? Or is there another reason? 

Coach Sommer
phrak said:

That seems quite... odd to me. To spend time stuck on a headstand variant because shoulder *flexion* is lacking.

And you would be incorrect in this thinking.

Addressing the many many mobility issues of our adult training population is of primary importance and is what lays the ground work for all future GST success.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jon Douglas
Coach Sommer said:

And you would be incorrect in this thinking.

Addressing the many many mobility issues of our adult training population is of primary importance and is what lays the ground work for all future GST success.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

So that's the weight sorted; was there a definite answer on the width? Understood, long-term focus to move it at most shoulder width, but short-term / moving forward in H1 purposes?

 

Will I be remaining at PE/IM 4 until I have it to shoulder width + 5lb??

Nic Branson

You want damn near shoulder height and width for the extensions. You should be striving to get as close as you can. For many this will be a huge step and take some dedicated time but fixing it now will speed up progress later. Neglecting it now will limit you later on.

Dislocates will have wider than shoulder width.

Adriano Augusto

I came here with the same question, and it have been already answered. 

 

So, long way with headstand variation and the first one mobility to me :D

 

Fred, highfive!

Cannister
Nic Branson said:

You want damn near shoulder height and width for the extensions. You should be striving to get as close as you can. For many this will be a huge step and take some dedicated time but fixing it now will speed up progress later. Neglecting it now will limit you later on.

Dislocates will have wider than shoulder width.

 

Ok sorry if this is repetitive but I'm still slightly unclear here - I should strive to get as close to shoulder width as I can so long as I can what?  So long as I can still achieve the ROM of the athlete in the video?  Or should I essentially just start with the ~shoulder width grip and go at it until I have the ROM shown?

 

as an aside I really really like the HS/PE1>iM (and HS/PE2>iM) - one day after testing out these movements I have a real sense that I worked something up there.  I have high hopes of finally opening up my shoulders.  Also HS/PE2>iM is absolutely insane.  I am reaching ~45 degrees.  It seems completely incredible to able to do what is shown in the video.  I can't (but will) wait. 

Nic Branson

Start wide and as you get to shoulder height, narrow your grip and begin again. You should be within five degrees of your shoulders in height and width for extensions.

The drills are really good, glad they are working for you.

Coach Sommer

- Height comes first with a wider grip and then work your way in narrower over time (weeks and weeks; not days  :facepalm: )

 

- Once you are as narrow as you feel is possible for you, add a small amount of weight and begin the process all over again with a wide grip.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer