This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Question regarding Shoulder Extension iM work

Started by phrak, March 1, 2013 · 36 Replies · 1,804 Views

Cannister

Thanks again for the clarification.  I am going to be such good friends with HS/PE1>iM.  It's going to be a long relationship.

Jon Douglas
Nic Branson said:

You want damn near shoulder height and width for the extensions. You should be striving to get as close as you can. For many this will be a huge step and take some dedicated time but fixing it now will speed up progress later. Neglecting it now will limit you later on.

Dislocates will have wider than shoulder width.

Bugger, I got mixed up. My question was meant to be regarding dislocates. PE5/IM5. How close will the hands need to be to move on?

 

Hence my reference to hand width/weight and time. I'm fine with iM1 and 2, feels great stretch but very doable.

Nic Branson
Charm said:

Bugger, I got mixed up. My question was meant to be regarding dislocates. PE5/IM5. How close will the hands need to be to move on?

 

Hence my reference to hand width/weight and time. I'm fine with IM1 and 2, feels great stretch but very doable.

About a hands width outside your shoulders. Some slightly variance from person to person is expected but not much.

Nic Branson
ewethestuff said:

I have a question:

As I dislocate should shrug my shoulders up (like in a handstand), strive to keep them down, or just let them sit neutral?

 

 

I love the way these feel with weight btw. I've been using a hollow rod for the last year, and tried adding 5, 10, 15 and 20lbs tonight, and suddenly they're challenging in a different way.

If you watch the videos careful you can see shoulder elevation happening through the top of the movement. Let your shoulders move naturally. Do not try and force them through the movement.

Jon Douglas
Nic Branson said:

About a hands width outside your shoulders. Some slightly variance from person to person is expected but not much.

Thanks a lot, that had been bugging me.

Guess I'll be there for a few weeks...

Adriano Augusto

Well, I don't know if it is a silly question, but well.

 

I'm guessing that on this PE for this mobility exercise, headstand tripod, you've to do mastery scheme all the time, right? 5x60.

 

Hours and hours on tripod  :P

Nic Branson

5x60 is a nice little theme for many of the balance drills. Enjoy :icon_twisted:

Gray

I'm joining the Masters of Tripod Squad!

Tripod time :D

Devin Decoursey

It seems safe to assume that many of us will be repeating weeks 9-12 for the first few progressions a significant number of times.

RandomHavoc
Devin Decoursey said:

It seems safe to assume that many of us will be repeating weeks 9-12 for the first few progressions a significant number of times.

 

So if we're limited only by the mobility movement, then we restart the HS exercise at week 9 if that was already mastered when the cycle is over?

Daniel Shields

If you have mastered the exercise, but not the mobility, it would make sense to do a steady state cycle using the week 11 rep and set scheme.

Joshua Naterman

Because you literally will be physically unable to properly execute any of the PE exercises on the floor, much less in a handstand, without fully open shoulders, you should not move past the headstand work until you can perform the iM work as prescribed.

 

Just in case anyone was wondering why there is such an emphasis on the early mobility (iM 1-4 and dislocates)... It is very, very powerful, in its own right, and I second Coach's suggestion of keeping them forever as a major part of training, but think about the basic functionality... if you can't lift a 5-10 lb bar into an open shoulder position at will, you're not going to get your 100+ pound body into a fully open shoulder position, particularly when freestanding.

 

These are literally the main limiting factors in handstand work. so by taking care of them right at the start we pave the way for much, much, much better progress (and very little, if any, stalling out) in the future.