How did you discover "Gymnasticbodies.com"

Started by Nautique163, March 25, 2013 · 48 Replies · 10,372 Views

MvdB

I did taekwondo from age 18-22 and capoeira from age 28-35 (I am now 38, almost 39). Ever since I became involved in martial arts I have been interested in bodyweight training and flexibility, but I never really pursued it myself. However, through capoeira I became aware of Ido Portal. This was in 2009, I think. He mentioned the GB website on his blog so I checked it out and loved what I found. I purchased the BtGB book and rings and I followed the WODs for about four months in 2010. Unfortunately I suffered from mononucleosis and a semi-burnout in that period so I quit training due to a lack of focus and energy. After I got better I continued lurking on the forum and when I found out that the Foundation and Handstand series were going to be released I couldn't think of a better incentive to start working out again :)

synchroGENized

A colleague said "hey you speak English..maybe these will work better for you than they did for me" and gave me two books.  One was about kettlebells which I browsed briefly and said "nice but won't work for me" the other was BtGB.  I didn't put BtGB down until I read it through twice, except to get paper and pen to take notes.  And then I found the forum and started the process of thinking I understood then realizing yet again that it was more complicated than I thought. 

 

What I love is that there is a sincere, thorough discussion of the theory behind the practice, without getting too academic.  We all come from different places and have different goals, but can help each other by sharing our experiences and crumbs of knowledge.  Then if things get off track someone who really knows what they're doing comes along and grabs the thread by the ear and spins it back in the right direction.

 

I'm constantly inspired, amazed, and fascinated by the people around here.

Cannister

I had just finished P90X and was curious about a different program.  A friend of mine always told me about some of the gymnastics/bodyweight based workouts he used and so I did some googling on gymnastics-oriented workout programs.  This was all an attempt to become a stronger rock climber.  I found this website that way.  That was 2010.  I lurked as a guest here for about 2 years very occasionally doing a GB style workout.  Then I spend about 6 months-1year flip-flopping between Killroy-style and WOD based workouts and getting injured (wrist, shoulder).

 

I purchased the Foundation & Handstand series the day they came out and I've been doing only that for the 2 months that it's been since then.  I'm really enjoying it!  I have to say that my focus has shifted from exercising to become a better rock climber to now exercising with the hope of being able to perform advanced GST moves.  I care much less about how good of a rock climber I am.  In my opinion this type of training translates much better to overall health than climbing does.

 

Time to go take care of one of those workouts!

divingpeanut

It was mainly through Beastskills.com (referencing the DD article) and T-nation articles.

Kiyu

I somehow ended up watching Geoff Craft's video of performing 90 degree push ups, prior to even knowing what bodyweight training is. He had a link to Gymnastic Bodies on his blog. The Allan Bower videos (he was practically a baby! Doing a 90 degree pushup!) got me hooked and I read the BtGB book. I had never read such an astonishing book on exercises (and I have now read a couple). The day I read BtGB was the day I stopped training with weights. I remember going through half a training session with weights, thinking "what is the point of this?", and doing pull ups instead.

jbunla

I discovered this site trying to do a master thesis research on injury prevention 

palmcron

I discovered it trying to find reviews of "lost art of handbalancing". Found Ido mentioning it here and ended up not bying it, but loving the handbalancing-advise floating around here.

Prometheus

Dragondoor article in 2008.

Riku Calderón

At Nibiru forum in 10thplanetjj.com

Joakim Anderson
Prometheus said:

Dragondoor article in 2008.

 

Same here.

Rayne-William

I found one of Coach's articles.

ForzaCavaliere

I saw an article on dragondoor for getting a planche. At the time I thought it was just like all the other workout resources, nothing special. 

 

But after an acknowledgement to Coach Sommer in Overcoming Gravity I thought I'd look into it a bit more and it turns out this site is a treasure trove of info lol.

Bipocni

I first stumbled across Building the Gymnastic Body at the same time as Convict Conditioning and Never Gymless.  Initially I was very dismissive...  I think the fact that all the models were children, and there was a lot less filler was a bad thing in my mind.  The other two books you can read for fun, but BtGB is a very dry resource, and I was distracted by much flashier programs.

 

However, I never lost my interest in bodyweight training and kept stumbling across this forum whenever I typed a question into google.  It got to the point this forum was the only thing that would come up, the only place that was answering the questions I had.

 

I became a member shortly before F1 was released, so it was very good timing on my part.

 

I'll admit my initial reason for getting into bodyweight training has subsided.  I wanted something that I could do anywhere, and having to have rings, stall bars ect doesn't help with that.  But the tradeoff is worth it.  The potential this place gives you is far in excess of what you'll find anywhere else.

 

I mean before I came here I was looking into one arm pushups, one arm chinups....  Now I want straddle press to handstands, inverted muscleups....  I'll take being stronger and more flexible than the other guy any day.  I'd rather be versatile in what I can do with my body than versatile in where I can train it.

Ravn

All roads lead to Rome.

ForzaCavaliere
Bipocni said:

I first stumbled across Building the Gymnastic Body at the same time as Convict Conditioning and Never Gymless.  Initially I was very dismissive...  I think the fact that all the models were children, and there was a lot less filler was a bad thing in my mind.  The other two books you can read for fun, but BtGB is a very dry resource, and I was distracted by much flashier programs.

 

Aha good old times with Convict Conditioning lol.

Carlos Rodríguez

In my sophomore year I got better from a bad hip problem (popping hip), and wanted to start some program. I did CC at first, for a few months, and then I used some of CC2 progressions. Eventually, I wanted to try some other stuff, and I had to choose between BtGB and OG. Sadly, I chose OG and used it for quite some time w/o rings (with it I started to do belly-to-wall handstands). Eventually, I got rings and tried to do some more advanced things in OG, but after a while I found to have some joint pains and stuff, especially doing variations of reverse curls. So... I was looking for something to be done about it, and, like the prodigal son returning to his father, I was again here. That was around August 2013, I guess, and F1, F2 and H1 were totally new courses for me, and pretty much perfect for me. So I got these courses and have been a fan since then.

Bipocni
ForzaCavaliere said:

Aha good old times with Convict Conditioning lol.

Yeah....  The guy talks shit about the planche at one point in his one arm pushup chapter.  Really lead me astray.

 

The more I learn, the more I realise that book was totally useless....

Jon Douglas
Bipocni said:

Yeah....  The guy talks shit about the planche at one point in his one arm pushup chapter.  Really lead me astray.

 

The more I learn, the more I realise that book was totally useless....

What threw me was (paraphrase)

'If you want to improve your agility/coordination, you may learn more gymnastics--- iron cross, front lever, maltese. But in terms of pure strength, one arm pullups are all you'll ever need.'

 

After a couple years hanging out here, the concept of comparing OAC to malt in terms of straight-up strength is just....

Christian

Was doing a course of adult gymnastics and was very deluded by the "programming". Thought to myself that there has to be some science on Gymnastic Strength Training™. Googled it and found BtGB and this site.

Destiny

some google searches and I found some threads from here. can't remember exactly what for but probably about front levers

loazis

Via reddit's /r/bodyweightfitness. I followed their basic routine for a while and links to GB kept popping up. Discovered the immense quality and quantity of knowledge on these boards and I've been lurking ever since ^^

john_c

Because nothing else worked.....for me