Using Percentages or Target Weight for calculating caloric deficit?

Started by Patrick Smith, March 22, 2013 · 3 Replies · 2,052 Views

Patrick Smith

I have a book by Alan Aragon called "Girth Control." It's a really good book. Probably the best I've read for simple stuff that you can implement quickly as far as calculating macronutrients goes.

 

Alan constantly stresses that in all calculations, you calculate based on your target weight, not your current weight (unless you want to maintain). 

 

I think this is a much more sensible approach to kcal deficit than choosing a percentage to take off. 

 

What do you guys think?

FutureisNow

What if you weigh 300 and want to lose 100 pounds? That would be too large of a deficit I should think.

But if is between 10-20 pounds perhaps it makes sense. If it's much less it may not be enough deficit to accurately

measure and manage. What do you think?

rynski

I think this is a good idea, it seems quite simplified & constructive. As future stated, however, setting realistic goals along the way to make it effective & ultimately more sustainable is key.

 

Reducing total calorie intake too quickly in large numbers if this was the case is neither motivational or healthy. Steady progression will see success, just like our training  :)

Patrick Smith

Fin - That's what I was thinking when I was reading it. Seems particularly good for body re-comp as well.

 

rynski, true. 

 

Cool, it seems like we all agree :D