This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 090112

Started by Coach Sommer, January 12, 2009 · 4 Replies · 2,095 Views

Coach Sommer

WOD%20-%20-090112.jpg

Perform:

3 x 5 heavy weighted Deck Squats

3 x 5 heavy weighted single leg arch-ups

Finish with 3 x 10 Hip Extensions

notes

Add enough weight to the Deck Squats that they are quite challenging for the 3-5 reps.

Outside of gymnastics circles, single leg arch-ups are usually called back hyper-extensions. As the name implies, the single leg variation is only anchored by one leg.

As noted in the essay referenced above, the first set of hip extensions is forward, the second is sideward and the third is circular.

Neal Winkler

Seems like a bad name for the exercise, since you are flexing and abducting the hips not extending.

Also, I assume you do 3x5 on each leg for the single leg arch ups, for a total 6x5. Correct?

Coach Sommer

Once you have performed the exercise, there will be no doubt in your mind why they are name hip extensions!

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jason Stein

Coach Sommer,

1. 3x5 Heavy Deck Squats

Performed holding 12kg kettlebell, 16kg KB, 20kg KB

2. 3x5 single-leg arch-ups

I was unfamiliar with this so I performed unweighted, hands behind head.

3. 3x10 hip extensions

Notes:

---I can hold front hip extension for 10 seconds about 110 degrees from the floor --- but have a very difficult time achieving greater height, i.e. have plateau'd. Is it standing leg hip flexors that are impeding? Standing front split is VERY difficult for me.

---Cool-down with 3x front splits, bridges.

Nobodystopsdblob

WOD

3 x 5 heavy weighted Deck Squats did with 45 lb

3 x 5 heavy weighted single leg arch-ups 45 lb

Finish with 3 x 10 Hip Extensions these were tough

* Snatch - 85% x 1 x 4 135 155 155 (f) 155

* Clean & jerk - 85% x 1 x 4 skipped

* Front squat - 85% x 2 x 3 did 4 sets 135 185 205 225 started with bar on pegs so I started in the full squat

* 10 (GHD sit-up + 2 Russian twists) - 3 sets skipped

My Hip extensions were odd looking. I basically had my leg at parallel to the floor which seemed pretty good to me. I looked like a kid playing some sort of balance game. But oh well, people stopped paying me any mind when I rolled around on the floor with a 45 lb dumbell at the beginning. I skipped the clean and jerk mostly for time but also because my hips were already on fire and I think it would just cause more stress on my wrists, which are getting a lot of work now that I am doing so many floor and ring exercises. Good workout, but I am beat thuogh.