Head in the handstand question

Started by Saito, January 9, 2009 · 10 Replies · 3,749 Views

Saito

Hi, I just wanted to ask: is it safe for your head to be that long in a handstand position? I just started to train with the wall with this, I can probably hold it for like 40 seconds maybe, not because of my arms or body failing, but because I get scared that my face gets all red and hot, and I begin to feel the blood in my legs going down, so I get scared and fall out.

So basically the question is that is it safe for your head to be in a handstand for a long time, plus doing an exercise like a pushup. It feels really uncomfortable to me right now, to hold it like 30 seconds.

Blairbob

Gymnasts adapt to this inverted position over time and repetition. Your body has not done this yet at all.

Eventually, many people hold a handstand for much longer than 30 seconds on the order of 20-50x as much. You'll be fine. Some people have popped small capillaries in their face due to the pressure but it has to be slowly built up.

Saito

Oh ok, that's all I wanted to know, if it was ok to proceed with them. It's not the first time I've done them though.

Blairbob

A 100 is nothing. A 1000 is more of the step beyond beginner. 10000 is experienced. By 100000 it should become proficient and masterful, maybe more.

Gregor
Blairbob said:
A 100 is nothing. A 1000 is more of the step beyond beginner. 10000 is experienced. By 100000 it should become proficient and masterful, maybe more.

WORD!!!! :mrgreen:

People don't have any clue how many repetitions gymnast must have to learn something and even more to master it.

I think I have near the 5 000 or more dismounts and still at the end of a rutine I have problems....

Saito
Blairbob said:
A 100 is nothing. A 1000 is more of the step beyond beginner. 10000 is experienced. By 100000 it should become proficient and masterful, maybe more.

I'm sorry but, what are you talking about here? 100 and 1000 and 10000 and 1000000 of what? :?

George Launchbury

Handstands, in this instance! :shock:

matthew.percussion

I believe they are referring to repetitions.

If you do something 10 000 times it starts to become second nature.

Saito

Oh ok, he was talking about how many times you get into a handstand. How much time would I have to be able to hold a handstand with the wall (stomach version) to achieve a solid freestanding handstand?

Coach Sommer

There is no direct correlation between the two. A wall handstand builds strength throughout the shoulder girdle, but does not automatically impart the technical expertise necessary to maintain a free standing handstand. In this case, the Wall HS is supplemental to the free standing handstand, it is not a substitute for the required skill practice.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

matthew.percussion

Transitioning from Wall Handstands to Free Standing

This may be of help to you. =]

I know that using this technique has helped my HS in terms of stability.