This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Zombie Poster Boy needs HS/PE1>iM prerequisites?

Started by Richard Hamilton, March 9, 2013 · 52 Replies · 3,076 Views

Richard Hamilton

Well... I thought it was about time for an update. As I mentioned in another thread I became a bit distracted over the summer as I met a girl, it didn't work out. I started back and have been enjoying some gains in mobility though so all is well on the whole.
 
It's not been without difficulties and I had to break for a couple of weeks after irritating what I think is my supraspinatus (same issue as earlier in the year) It was ok after doing the H1 workout but I was working 4x12 sPL/PE1 a couple of days later and something didn't sound right in the last reps of the 3rd set so I stopped. Coach has mentioned Press HS and PL work are closely related and complimentary to one another, I'm not going to pretend I understand the intricacies of it but I can feel it in my upper back and shoulder, they're closely related. Based on this I'm going to keep cycling the first sPL microcycle until I've nailed this mobility element, I think it'll pay me a dividend further down the line.
 
I finally moved away from the wall and am sitting on a couple of blocks, I still pre stretch my hips by doing the iM unweighted up against the wall between wrist supersets. It's useful for cuing the right scapula position and feedback is instant as the spine of my scapula is uncomfortable against the wall if it's in the wrong position. Even when I've done that I find myself narrowing the grip and running into what feels like a road block sometimes, my shoulder really wants to try and depress to complete this movement as the grip narrows.
 
I'm gaining about 1" a week at the moment but am starting to feel really tight again. When I do this exercise it feels like my arms are much closer together! I need to do some more passive stretching, particularly working on internal rotation and lying T&Y stretches I think

 

Keilani Gutierrez

thank you -so- much for pointing out that planche and HS comment. I knew it was really wierd that my shoulders felt really off the next day after attempting 4x12 sPL/PE1. i feel pretty good idling in week 5 cycle but can't seem to break free from there without feeling the top of my shoulders like...i don't know how to explain the sensation besides it feeling "ringing".

I'm going to go ahead and give this a shot. i know i won't lose anything by repeating that cycle(done it a few times)

again, much appreciated. :)

Richard Hamilton

No worries Keilani. I could probably get away with doing the week 5 cycle for sPL as I've been able to manage that most of the year but as soon as I try 4x12+ it's just not happening yet. As this problem has reared it's ugly head a couple of times I'm going to err on the side of caution for now and stick wiith the first cycle, whats another 4 weeks in the grand scheme of things anyway? :) Hopefully by the time the H1 has been out for a year I'll be close to having this iM nailed! This exercise is definitely a keeper and I've come to really value its difficulty. :)